cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your Account

Get tailored support with your TalkTalk account and bills.

Information on Internet contract

vadersgal
First Timer
Private Message
Message 4 of 4

I am querying on when my contract ends as the account holder is my ex-husband, who left last year. I do not have contact with him anymore. As soon as he left he informed me that the contract would finish on the march 1st 2023, so i'm writing to make sure of this as i need to set up my own account with a different provider. 

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 4

Hi vadersgal

As the account is not in your name, I cant give you any specific account information, my only advice would be to contract a new provider and ask them to take over the line, this should trigger the cancellation process for your ex-husbands account. 

If you want to stay with us, contact our sales team and we can setup a new line with a different number. 

Regards

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 4

I'll move this to the billing section for you, @vadersgal.

However there is very little you can do from this end, as you are not the account holder. So you can't cancel by simply ringing up.

If you put in an order with another Openreach serviced ISP, that should trigger an email to your ex husband from Talktalk. 

It gives him the chance to keep the service (and keep paying the bills) or, if he does nothing,  the new service can start with the new company, and so that will be set up in your name.

If you wish to keep the same phone number, be sure to request this at point of sale.

Your ex husband will be billed 30 days ahead as usual this month, which doesn't usually coincide with the end of contract date, so some days on this month's bill may already be at the full price rate, pro rata. Depending on the dates, any overpayment will be refunded to his My Account on the next bill. He can claim that back using the same information as for the Direct Debit, so the DD should be kept in place till all of that is settled. 

He'll then get a bill for £0.00, which means that the DD can be safely removed.

He'll be expected to return equipment, which could be tricky in this situation!

If it's not returned, there's a £50 fine.

Staff on here could send a returns bag to your house, once the service has ended, so you should then return equipment. 

You won't receive the demand for it from Talktalk, as you are not the account holder, but there is still the responsibility to return the equipment, so perhaps best done by asking staff on the forum. 

They will need you to complete your community forum profile. Go via your avatar/name; settings; Personal Information: landline telephone number; SAVE CHANGES. 

This will show them your husband's account. 

They cannot close the account for you via this forum. Only your ex husband can do that by phoning Talktalk himself or by him not reacting to their prompts to make him stay.

They may not even be able to tell you the precise day the contract ends, as you are not the account holder. There are all sorts of GDPR issues at stake here.

But, at the end of a contract, the service doesn't suddenly just stop, it rolls over at full price. You won't be left with nothing while waiting for a new service to be started up.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 4

Hi,
You are in the staff's queue for a response.

However as you are not the account holder, you may find staff are unable to give you any information due to data protection issues.

Also if you swap providers, they may not be able to complete the line exchange as you will be setting the contract up with them and the desist they will send to TalkTalk may fail for the same reason that the account is not in your name.

Have you considered a transfer of account from you Ex to yourself? If not is this viable if you were to be sent the forms?

For a quicker reply from support staff, can you please ensure you have your personal information up to date in your profile including your TalkTalk landline phone number so your account can be traced. Link here - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/user/myprofilepage/tab/personal-profile:personal-info
If you are unsure of your phone number, you can find this in My Account or dial 17070 from your landline phone and this will confirm the number for you.
You can also add your account number in the private notes field, which only you and the support staff can view.
Please post back when done.
Thank you

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).