cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Connection drops same time every day - DHCP client stopped.

Luket92
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 35 of 35

Hi,

Similar to other posts here, I'm experiencing internet disconnections across all devices at the same time every day.

Online chat/support has been a non-starter because their support script restricts them to asking me to turn my router off and on, and then performing a live test on the line, which shows no fault. A replacement router was sent out, but this also hasn't resolved the issue.

Router logs show the following, which is similar to others on this forum:

Date/Time Severity Module Message

25.03.2024 10:06:28InfoDHCPC
The WAN DHCP client IP address XX.X.XXX.XX
25.03.2024 10:06:24InfoDHCPC
WAN DHCP client (1) started
25.03.2024 10:06:21InfoXDSL
VDSL connectivity is up port 1
25.03.2024 10:05:52WarningDHCPC
WAN DHCP client (1) stopped
25.03.2024 10:05:52InfoXDSL
VDSL connectivity is down port 1

Cheers,
Luke

0 Likes
34 REPLIES 34

Message 21 of 35

Sorry if it wasn't clear, the errors are zero all day other than around the time of the disconnections, so they increase at the time of the disconnections. Please let us know how you get on with the smart plugs

Chris

0 Likes

Message 22 of 35

Thanks. I don't have a landline connected so can't comment on that I'm afraid. Interesting that the errored seconds stop around the disconnect, I would expect an increase. Any idea why that might be?

A few of my smart plugs occasionally have connection issues so I'll remove them tonight and see if they're having any effect. Aside from that, I've not noticed any power or connection issues on anything else (aside from the global connection drop, as mentioned)

Cheers,
Luke

0 Likes

Message 23 of 35

OK thanks. The line history just shows errored seconds and the downstream errored seconds are zero pretty much every hour except around  the time of the disconnections. Have you noticed any noise on your telephone line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 24 of 35

Hi Chris,

No devices on timers that I can think of - though that doesn't necessarily mean there aren't any. I have a few smart plugs/bulbs on the network - they aren't on timers but they may be polling their server at certain times, could that be an issue? Can I ask what the errors are? Perhaps I can help identify the causes.

0 Likes

Message 25 of 35

Hi Luke,

If Openreach find a fault on their network then there will be no charge.

I've taken a look at the line history for the last few days and there appear to be a rise in errors at the time of the disconnections which could indicate interference on the line. Have you noticed if the disconnection occur at the same time that you switch on an electrical device or possibly an electrical device on a timer?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 26 of 35

I have to pay for an engineer to come out to diagnose a fault in your service? Doesn't quite add up to me.

Can you provide me some further information regarding the router logs I've posted? These match the faults that others on this forum have posted, so I would hope that means some diagnostics have been made on their faults and that (anonymised) information can be shared to streamline the process for everyone else.

It seems most logical to me that a daily dropout occuring around the same time each day is due to some technical/software issue, rather than a hardware fault, which would present more consistently. If you could provide any current theories on the fault, that'd be helpful.. I would certainly like to understand any hardware-related theories, if you feel an engineer visit at my expense is warranted.

Cheers,
Luke

0 Likes

Message 27 of 35

Morning Luke,

I'm sorry to hear this. If the connection is still dropping at the test socket and with a different router then the next step will be to arrange an engineer visit to the property. If you'd like to go ahead with this then please can you provide a few days availability AM (8-1) and PM (1-6) and we can book the visit for you. Could you also confirm acceptance of possible time related engineer charges.

Engineer charges - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 28 of 35

HI Michelle,

Same issue occurred at 10.17:

Date/Time Severity Module Message

26.03.2024 10:17:32InfoXDSL
VDSL connectivity is up port 1
26.03.2024 10:17:03WarningDHCPC
WAN DHCP client (1) stopped
26.03.2024 10:17:02InfoXDSL
VDSL connectivity is down port 1

Cheers,
Luke

0 Likes

Message 29 of 35

Morning Luke,

I've re-checked the connection stats now and I can still see re-connections on the line. How have you found the connection at the test socket?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 30 of 35

Hi Luke,

Great thank you. I'll re-check the connection stats again first thing in the morning to see how this compares and will post back with an update. If the connection does drop at the test socket in the mean time then please post back here.

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 31 of 35

Hi, Yes it is now. I've removed the faceplate and used a separate DSL filter into the test socket.

0 Likes

Message 32 of 35

Hi Luke,

Thanks for confirming. Is the router currently connected to the test socket at the moment?

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 33 of 35

Hi, yes it does. 

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 34 of 35

Hi Luke,

Thank you. I've run a test on the line now which is clear, however I can see a few re-connections on the line. Does your main socket have a test socket please?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes