cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

DNS Issues

JordanS
Team Player
Private Message
Message 44 of 44

Over the last couple weeks the DNS issues i've been having with Talk Talk seem to pop up every other day now and it's getting ridiculous. 

With my previous router I had to sign in once and change the DNS to 8.8.8.8, because Talk Talk's DNS address just doesn't work. 

I had a new router sent to resolve other connectivity issues I was having, and over the last couple weeks the DNS issues have been consistent. We cannot access Internet in the household, restarting the router will temporarily resolve, as will signing in and changing the DNS between 8.8.8.8 and 79.79.79.79 (again, will only work temporarily, as I've had to do this 3 times just today to get access to internet before it drops again after a while).

Please can this be looked into ASAP? I can't keep restarting my router or manually changing DNS, me and my partner both work from home and this is causing serious disruptions, I almost left Talk Talk last time with the issues I was having, and I'm getting to that point again.. 😞 

Thanks in advance,

Jordan

MR JORDAN K SAYLIK
0 Likes
43 REPLIES 43

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 1 of 44

Hi JordanS,

I've sent you a PM requesting a little more information 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 44

Hi JordanS

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 44

Hello @Debbie-TalkTalk, I think that would be the next logical step, if the engineer for some reason was to not find a fault, how much would the charge be? Thanks. 

Jordan

MR JORDAN K SAYLIK
0 Likes

Message 4 of 44

Hi JordanS

Everything looks ok on the line tests and line/connection stats. The firmware is the most recent version.

I can arrange an Openreach engineer visit but if they can't detect any faults then possible engineer charges could be applied.

Thanks

Message 5 of 44

Hello @Michelle-TalkTalk , I can't say I know or live close to anyone that would have a spare landline phone unfortunately.

MR JORDAN K SAYLIK
0 Likes

Message 6 of 44

Morning,

Would it be possible to borrow a phone for testing purposes just to rule this out?

Thanks

0 Likes

cliff60
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 7 of 44

a new router wont solve the problem. its  dns server problem not authenticating the IP addy.

had an engineer out today as my internet has been down for a week and he confirmed its not the router as he tried 3 diff routers with the same results. authentification failed. so the proble is with the DNS server at talk talks end and no mater how many routers u try they will all do the same thing. the open reach engineer tried to tell talk takk that but they insist its  a router problem and will send me a new router.

I ran my own diagnostics before calling talk talk and told them its a DNS server issue. But they ran tests anyway and said no problems with the line everything is working fine. but they failed to check the DNS server.

most likely its  a software problem  and the authentifiaction code is out of date or broken and needs renewing. a new router wont fix that.  ive got 2 routers and tried both but both r failing to get the IP autharized. the enginner tried with his test router and got the same thing. land line is working fine but it just refused to get the authriaztrion code to connect to the internet.

last time this happened they fixed it in a couple of hrs by replacing the authorization code on the DNS server. no new router was needed.

0 Likes

Message 8 of 44

Hello @Chris-TalkTalk , unfortunately I don't have a landline from TalkTalk so I wouldn't be able to try that.

MR JORDAN K SAYLIK
0 Likes

Message 9 of 44

Hi Jordan,

I've checked the realtime data for the last 24 hours, up to 8am this morning, there are no non-available seconds and the error count is low each hour. Could your try dialing 17070 from your landline and confirm that the number read back to you is your telephone number

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 44

Hello Chris, it's still been occurring near on daily. Had it happen again last night while I was on the PC, didn't take note of the time this time as thought would have given enough examples at this point, but yes it's still going on.

MR JORDAN K SAYLIK
0 Likes

Message 11 of 44

Hi Jordan,

Line test is passing, sync speed is 72.7Mbps and connection looks stable. I've checked the realtime data for the last few days, there are no non-available seconds and the error count is generally low. The error count was a bit high at around the time you mentioned on the 31st but all other days over the last week or so look OK. How has it been since your last post?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 44

Thanks for letting me know @Gliwmaeden2. Happy new year.

MR JORDAN K SAYLIK

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 44

Most staff are taking the Bank Holiday, @JordanS. You should receive normal forum support from Tuesday onwards.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 14 of 44

Hello @Debbie-TalkTalk , happy new year. 

Has there been any update on this at all? Has been occurring every single day without fail, and has happened twice today alone. 

MR JORDAN K SAYLIK
0 Likes

Message 15 of 44

Hello @Debbie-TalkTalk , had the issue occur again at 12:12pm today, I ran a speed test as soon as it happened on my other monitor and saw that the speed had dropped to 5mb, so whatever is going on is causing speed drops it appears initially. 

MR JORDAN K SAYLIK
0 Likes

Message 16 of 44

Just to add further @Debbie-TalkTalk, this was noticed on my PC twice in 15 minutes prior to my last comment on this post, and my wife was on her mobile device at the same time watching Youtube, also noticed the extended buffering as if she had disconnected, so it's affecting both wired and wireless devices. 

I know you're trying to look into this but the constant issues with Talk Talk over the last few months are really becoming too much now. I've raised a couple complaints, been through 3 routers, had multiple 'tests' on my line, and yet am STILL having issues. I was even in the process of leaving Talk Talk over the last couple weeks because of said issues but was convinced to stay, however I'm really doubting that decision now because these issues just aren't worth the free month of broadband, because I don't even have consistently working broadband anyway! 

MR JORDAN K SAYLIK
0 Likes

JordanS
Team Player
Private Message
Message 17 of 44

Just happened again @Debbie-TalkTalk , twice in not even 15 minutes now..

MR JORDAN K SAYLIK
0 Likes

Message 18 of 44

Hi Jordan

Thank you. If you could also make a note of the date and time the connection drops, I can then check the connection logs again.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 19 of 44

Hello @Debbie-TalkTalk , I don't believe so but I will monitor when it next happens and report back.

MR JORDAN K SAYLIK

Message 20 of 44

Hi Jordan

That's strange as the connection stats appear to be stable. Do you happen to see if any lights change on the router?

0 Likes