cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

TV Box has no Aerial Out

kdmcm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 16

Just received an "upgraded" TV Box. It's the N7950. The first thing I notice is that it doesn't have a  UHF out socket. My existing Huawei YouView box has a UHF out socket, so I can use my TV as a regular TV.

Anyone know how I can use my TV as a TV, please?

0 Likes
15 REPLIES 15

Message 1 of 16

@kdmcm wrote:

Somehow the conversation moved to another unrelated thread. As I understand it, I can plug the aerial into my TV and use that to watch live TV, but use the STB to view stuff on the apps; a (happy?) medium.

That was may mistake in posting on the wrong thread, sorry!

I have moved the posts here so hopefully it makes more sense now. 

0 Likes

talkwhatever
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 2 of 16

Yup, that’d work, for non live TV stuff.

0 Likes

kdmcm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 16

Nope. I think I'm just surrounded by houses where they have metal shelving in their attics...!

Somehow the conversation moved to another unrelated thread. As I understand it, I can plug the aerial into my TV and use that to watch live TV, but use the STB to view stuff on the apps; a (happy?) medium.

Message 4 of 16

I'm not sure I understand - I had the impression from one of you r colleagues that the box would only work with an aerial connected.

Perhaps that's only for live TV?

0 Likes

Message 5 of 16

Well then you could just connect the aerial directly to the TV. Or connect it to the box and then use the HDMI connection to view on TV. 

0 Likes

talkwhatever
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 6 of 16

Aha. I see. You are painted into a corner. Pick your poison time. Good luck 😉 

Mind you, it sounds like you might have a lovely view out of the window! 🌤

0 Likes

Message 7 of 16

Dreadful reception area. The antenna is on an 8ft mast on the apex of my roof. It has a masthead amp already. When it rains, I lose it alltogether. That's why I got TalkTV. Trouble is, I have elderly people in the house, who harken for the days when you used to be able to simply switch on the TV and press one of the four channels; hence reluctance to ditch the relatively basic functionality of the TV.

talkwhatever
Conversation Starter
Private Message
Message 8 of 16

I feel you pain @kdmcm. However, the question is: Is the attenuation from a new splitter going to take the signal beyond the point where your telly can not hear the signal? 

If your aerial is in good shape and not in a weak signal area, you've probably got enough margin for the 3db signal drop to be perfectly tolerated. If not, buy a booster splitter. 

Message 9 of 16

Hi

You can use an aerial splitter or use a separate aerial for your TV.  I have an external aerial that feeds 4 TV's via a splitter with no issues.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

kdmcm
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 16

If I select BBC1 on my TV, but my TV is not connected to an areal, how can that work?

You understanding of antenna theory is confused. Splitting the signal between two receivers will introduce an attenuation.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 16

It doesn't disable your smart TV, all the smart features will continue to work by connecting to the internet. As regards the TV signal, a simple aerial splitter will have no more effect on it than connecting two devices in tandem. I bought one online for £3.99 for my boxnand it works just fine. 

0 Likes

Message 12 of 16

Well, it's super to get confirmation that my new upgraded STB disables my TV.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 16

Well, that's a bit crap. The only reason I'm paying for the TalkTV service is because my TV signal isn't always that great. I'm sure as hell not going to weaken it further by adding a splitter.

Are you SERIOUSLY telling me that the NEW UPDATED TV box (part of the basis for my selection of this product) DISABLES my smart TV?

What chump at TalkTalk bought that hardware?

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 14 of 16

Hi

ferguson is correct, a splitter is the only way to share the aerial between the 2 devices.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 16

You will need to use an aerial splitter if you want to alternate between watching broadcast channels on your box and your TV.