cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Correct e-mail settings for onetel accounts

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Private Message TalkTalk

Message 71 of 71

Hello Gondola. I guess it is OK to but in on this topic now there are no more replies but I have a similar problem. Suddenly I can longer send emails using my onetel email address because I get messages saying that the SMTP server is unavailable (I wonder why) and I have had no notification from Talktalk that the email settings have changed. From what I have read above, my settings are correct. I am using Mac Mail. 

I am afraid I can get no sense using the Chat line and I am unable to contact Talktalk. I know it's a long shot but can you offer any ideas please? Regards. Brian.

0 Likes
70 REPLIES 70

Message 61 of 71

Do not do anything outside of the troubleshooting steps I'm giving you because I cannot see what you're doing.

So far so good. You can sign in to the onetel mailbox via TalkTalk Mail webmail and can send mail messages. However, you say you cannot receive mail messages. The next step is to remove any Auto forward or other Filter rules that may be diverting mail from the onetel Inbox.

Mail not reaching the Inbox could mean there's a Filter rule, including an Auto forward which is a special filter rule, that's diverting, discarding or blocking mail.

• To check, select the Main Settings menu icon      triple line icon top right on the blue header
    (Mobile browser? use the desktop version)
  • Select Settings from the top of the menu
  • Select the inward facing arrowhead by Mail (or Email) in the left side panel
  • Select Filter Rules
    If there's no rule defined, that's perfect
  • To delete a Filter rule including any Auto forward
    select the Dustbin icon    to the right of the rule
    The icon background will turn red    
  • To confirm you really want to delete this Filter rule
    Select the blue Delete button

Let me know if you've removed any Auto forward or other Filter rule.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 62 of 71

I can log in to Talktalk web mail using my onetel email address and password and can send onetel emails but not receive them. I notice however that my onetel account details are no longer there so should I add back a Onetel account?

0 Likes

Message 63 of 71

Onetel mailboxes were migrated to the TalkTalk Mail platform in 2020.

Onetel mailbox users will sign in to webmail using the standard TalkTalk Mail sign in which is the same for ALL TalkTalk Mail domains.

Onetel mailbox users will use the talktalk.net server host names for email software connecting as IMAP or POP3 to the onetel mailbox on the TalkTalk Mail platform. Connections will work so long as the mailbox hasn't been using insecure legacy onetel settings that have got the mailbox limited to webmail only access. The talktalk.net mail servers are working perfectly ok thank you.

So, just follow the troubleshooting steps I've given you.

Step 1. Tell me you can sign in to TalkTalk Mail webmail using the onetel email address and its password and both receive and send mail messages.

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 64 of 71

Incidentally Gondola, none of these settings are of any use is the Talktalk SMTP server is offline?

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 65 of 71

I'm am getting very confused.

Your link took me to the Talktalk web mail. I was told that the Onetel web mail no longer existed.

I can access the Talktalk web mail and can send and receive Talktalk emails from there as well as from my Mac Mail but obviously not Onetel emails.

Surely my mail box has not been restricted to web mail because I can send Talktalk emails from Mac Mail.

0 Likes

Message 66 of 71

OK, the Mac OS software is supported by TalkTalk Mail.

Check that you can use an Internet browser to sign in to the onetel mailbox using the full onetel email address and email password. Check you can receive and send mail messages. The password must contain upper and lower case letters, numbers and a symbol and be at least 8 characters in length to be acceptable to the SMTP servers even if webmail is working.  If the password is not compliant then upgrade the password first. Recheck webmail.

Now I need you to set up an entirely new email account on different software for the onetel mailbox. This is to check that your mailbox hasn't been restricted to webmail only access because you've been using out of date legacy onetel settings instead of the current talktalk.net settings that are required for ALL TalkTalk Mail domains.

So, install Thunderbird on the Mac.

Setup manually using the current email client settings for all TalkTalk Mail domains including the onetel domains:

Account Type  IMAP Email Account
User Name Full Onetel email address
Password Onetel email password
Incoming mail server (IMAP) mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Authentication Method Normal Password
Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
Authentication Method Normal Password

The host server names use the talktalk.net domain and the only time you will see any reference to onetel is in the email address / User Name and description.

If the mailbox is not restricted to webmail only access and you set up Thunderbird using the settings I've shown then Thunderbird will receive and send your onetel mail.

That concludes the troubleshooting. Next is for you to take screenshots of the current setup on MacMail, image edit to obscure the first part of any email address and upload here so I can see where you have issues with the MacMail setup.

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 67 of 71

Gondola, I am using Mac Ventura 14.4.1 and Mac Mail. I can send and receive emails with my Talktalk email address but I can't send emails using my Onetel email address. The settings above are for Talktalk emails. I can't find the settings for Onetel emails. I have not changed my settings which have worked for many months. I don't know if it has had any effect but Talktalk asked me to re-register my account using a Gmail email address which I did. The problem I have is that when I try to send emails using my Onetel address, they will not go and sit in my Outbox and I keep getting a message telling me they can't be sent because the SMTP server is unavailable.

I have tried telephoning Talktalk and they are mystified and the Chat line is of no use because it is automated with standard questions which do not relate to my problem.

0 Likes

Message 68 of 71

Tell me what you understand by "Settings are for any TalkTalk Mail domain including the onetel.com domain."

0 Likes

brbrown
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 69 of 71

Hello Gondola. Those settings appear to be only for Talktalk emails not Onetel and I couldn't see any settings for Onetel. Have I misunderstood?

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 70 of 71

What is the Operating System running on the Mac? It does need to be Mac OS 10.12 Sierra or newer to support the secure encryption required for TalkTalk Mail.

The email settings for a supported Mac OS are given below. Settings are for any TalkTalk Mail domain including the onetel.com domain.

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help

Setting up TalkTalk email on a Mac PC using Mac Mail

0 Likes