cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

New outlook and talktalk

ClareB8
Team Player
Private Message
Message 31 of 31

I have downloaded new outlook on to my laptop and it was all working fine but now emails are not sending but are staying in the Drafts folder. I have checked my settings and these all look ok other than the host name is showing as imap.talktalk.net and not as mail.talktalk.net. When I go to manage the email account, there does not seem to be a way to amend the settings. All help gratefully received!

0 Likes
30 REPLIES 30

Message 1 of 31

I don't know why Outlook 365 is not working either because the device is not in front of me and I don't know what state it's in.  New Outlook not working is not a TalkTalk issue. I'll assume you don't wish to follow my troubleshooting to check if an alternative email client can work so that means I can no longer offer to help.

If you insist only on using Microsoft products then go to Microsoft and ask them to help.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 31

This is ridiculous as I was using it and everything worked fine and now it doesn’t. I want to use outlook with my talktalk email address but can’t. I keep having issues with talktalk and I’m seriously thinking of changing my account provider.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 31

All I can say is that the error message you're showing me doesn't tie in with the settings that are now correct and should work for an IMAP email account authenticated with the Username as the full email address and Password the email password.

I would abandon Outlook for now and cross check by downloading and setting up Thunderbird as an IMAP email account.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 31

In outlook, I’ve unticked but still not working…

IMG_1678.jpegIMG_1677.jpeg

Message 5 of 31

Do not tick Require logon with SPA as that is not supported.

Message 6 of 31

But in outlook when I click on IMAP Account Settings, I have amended them as per photo below and it’s still coming up with the error message!

IMG_1676.jpeg
0 Likes

Message 7 of 31

The lower photo is indicating that the incoming mail server that is mail.talktalk.net cannot connect with Outlook using the IMAP server encryption method that's been set up. This encryption method must be SSL/TLS on port 993. 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 31

I have deleted my email account and then added it back in by clicking on Other account POP, IMAP ( see photo). I’ve entered my email address  and password and clicked sign in and then done but when I go back to Manage Account and check settings,  I can’t do so as it’s greyed out (see photo).  When I go into outlook, my email account isn’t there. In outlook, I’ve gone to File, Add Account, entered my email address and then my password but it’s saying Something went wrong, see photo. I’ve then clicked on Change Account Settings but it’s coming up with the same error message. Help!

IMG_1673.jpegIMG_1674.jpegIMG_1675.jpeg
0 Likes

Message 9 of 31
  • Open Windows Mail
  • Select the cog icon bottom left
  • Select Manage Accounts in the Settings panel
  • Select the TalkTalk Mail account
  • Select Delete

Then follow the Outlook 365 setup guide I gave here

If you get stuck at any point then take a screenshot, image edit to obscure any personally identifiable data and upload here using the camera icon above this Reply area so I can see where you are.

0 Likes

Message 10 of 31

Apologies but could you set down exactly how I do this please. I have tried to do it but must have missed something…I really appreciate your assistance.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 31

Yes, remove the TalkTalk Mail account from Windows Mail and add the TalkTalk Mail account to Outlook 365 as an IMAP account.

0 Likes

Message 12 of 31

Have you got advice on how to get this sorted? Thank you!

0 Likes

Message 13 of 31

No idea what she has done but she has configured her Outlook account as pop3 but she is able to send/receive emails so she is happy!!!

Message 14 of 31

I have Microsoft 365 installed on my laptop.

0 Likes

Message 15 of 31

Change mailbox sync settings is NOT associated with Outlook. That's a setup for Windows Mail.

Do you have Outlook 365 (or Outlook 2016 - 2021) installed on the laptop?

Message 16 of 31

fyi on our laptop, my husband’s outlook email account is working fine but his talktalk one isn’t and I can’t re add my talktalk account. So it’s definitely a talktalk email issue…

0 Likes

Message 17 of 31

My husband and I can access our emails on our phones and iPads but not on the laptop which we share. I have tried your suggestion above but it hasn’t worked so I have removed my email account and re added it but when I get to “Talktalk account settings”, the “Change mailbox sync settings” is greyed out and can’t be changed. What else can we do?!

0 Likes

Message 18 of 31

Outlook 365 (and Outlook 2016 - 2021) supports secure mail and to update go via the Advanced setup settings of an email profile, as in this example for Windows 10 or 11.

• Select the  Windows icon bottom left
  • Select the  Settings cog icon
  • Select Accounts
  • Select  Email & Accounts and for a first time setup select Add Account and enter the settings in the table
  • Or select the email account
  • Select Change account or double click on the email account

At that point on your device you ought to see the Outlook setup to enter the TalkTalk Mail server settings: NB All talktalk domains use the exact same IMAP secure settings.

Supported Outlook 365 settings for IMAP email accounts are:

Account Type  IMAP secure
Username Full TalkTalk email address
Password TalkTalk email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port (IMAP) 993
Incoming Connection Security SSL/TLS
Outgoing mail server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Connection Security STARTTLS
My Outgoing Server Requires Authentication Yes
Authentication Method Normal Password (Not SPA)

For a definitive check of settings take screenshots of the incoming and outgoing server settings, image edit to obscure the first part of the email address and upload here using the Camera icon (desktop browser) or Picture icon (mobile browser) above this reply area.

Message 19 of 31

Hi there, can you help with my post above. I went back to old outlook and added in my account and everything was fine but then it wasn’t…my folders disappeared and it stopped sending. So I deleted my talktalk email account and tried to start again but it’s not letting me add the account now! Can you assist?

0 Likes

Message 20 of 31

Re: Conventional Outlook software setup e.g Outlook 2016 -2021.

TalkTalk does not support secure password authentication (SPA) so just to clarify this should not be ticked.

What should be ticked is My outgoing server requires authentication. The authentication is with the normal password.