cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Slow wifi and no 5Ghz from Eero 6

jenny727
Team Player
Private Message
Message 64 of 64

Hi,

I recently (sept 20th) had fibre 150 installed through talktalk, with the supplied Eero 6 dual band mesh router.

After open reach had finished the installation and set up the eero I connected my kindles,phone ect

to it. We did several wireless speed tests and it showed between 147 and 151 Mbps and a 5Ghz connection in the same room as the Eero.

All my TVs, PVRs, Desktop ect are all connected via Ethernet cables and speed tests showed a constant 151 Mbps. The next day however my wireless connection had changed from 5ghz to 2.4ghz on all devices and the speed had dropped massively to between 5 and 15 Mbps and this was in the same room as the Eero. The wired connection still remained at 151 Mbps. Tried disconnecting and reconnecting devices to no avail, still would only connect at 2.4Ghz and slow speed. Tried all trouble shooting tips, turning off 5Ghz, soft reset, ect but all devices still would only connect to 2.4Ghz. Ran two different wifi analizers and neither could detect 5Ghz only 2.4Ghz.

I have been having this trouble for 2 weeks now so Eero has had time to settle down but still no change.

Also if I move out of the room where the Eero is into the next room the speed droops right off.

Could this be a faulty unit or do you have any other suggestions.

I have also heard other people have had this problem and it has been rectified by being sent a Eero 6 pro as this is tri band and has both high and low 5Ghz frequency's as well as the 2.4Ghz.

Kind regard

jenny.

P.S – Before we changed to full fibre we had fibre 35 with talktalk. The dlink router was in the same place and the wifi signal was excellent throughout the whole bungalow and most of the garden.

0 Likes
63 REPLIES 63

Message 21 of 64

Morning jenny,

Could you retest and let us know if there is any change please as our team have made an update.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

jenny727
Team Player
Private Message
Message 22 of 64

Hi Michelle

Sorry for the delayed reply .

Looking forward to hearing back .

Kind Regards

Jenny

0 Likes

Message 23 of 64

Morning,

I'll check with our team if this change has taken place and will post back with an update.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 24 of 64

Hello,

We've been advised that eero are making a change today/over the weekend, so we'll check back in with you on Monday to see if there has been an improvement.

Thanks

Michelle

Message 25 of 64

Hi Jenny,

This has been escalated to eero and we've been advised that we should receive a further update by Friday.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 26 of 64

Hi @jenny727 

Please see my post number 25 on the thread by @briantrumpet1:-

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Full-Fibre/New-to-full-fibre-150-but/m-p/2997522#M20180 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

jenny727
Team Player
Private Message
Message 27 of 64

Good Morning

Thank you

Kind Regards

Jenny

Message 28 of 64

Hi jenny727

Sorry for the delay.

I've asked our Devices Team for an update and I will post back as soon as I have further information.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 29 of 64

Hi @jenny727 

I do not have an Eero myself, so I cannot test this, but I have just had an idea.

Is your Eero operating in Legacy Mode? I think you need to enable it, in the app, go to:-

1. Tap Settings on the bottom right of your screen

2. Now select Troubleshooting

3. Tap My device won't connect

4. Then choose My device can't detect Wi-Fi 6

5. Toggle Legacy Mode on

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 30 of 64

Morning jenny,

No problem, I'll let you know as soon as I know more.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 31 of 64

Thanks Michelle

Kind Regards

Jenny

0 Likes

Message 32 of 64

Thanks Keith

Kind Regards

Jenny

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 34 of 64

Hi @jenny727 

I was merely pointing out what the technical issue is & why it causes this problem. It needs TalkTalk to come up with a solution for you, which is why @Michelle-TalkTalk has passed it to their Devices Team.

Keith

Message 35 of 64

Morning,

I've just posted on your topic and I'll also post an update back here too once I know more.

Thanks

Michelle

briantrumpet1
Whizz Kid
Private Message
Message 36 of 64

I'm watching with great interest, as it seems that I have exactly the same problem with my new FF150 and Eero 6, with no 5Ghz, it being stuck on channel 155.

0 Likes

Message 37 of 64

Hi jenny,

I've asked our Devices Team for there advice on this and I will post back as soon as I receive an update.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 38 of 64

Hi Chris,

No it does not.

Kind regard

Jenny.

0 Likes

Message 39 of 64

Hi, 

I realise this,  the answer I need is why the 5ghz keeps changing to the higher channels

at 3am every day and always reverts back to the lower channels when eero is reinstalled .

Jenny.

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 40 of 64

Hi @Chris-TalkTalk 

The issue is not that the router is changing the WiFi adapters over to the 5GHz band, that is exactly what Band Steering is supposed to do.

The problem is that the Eero keeps using channel 155, which a lot of WiFi adapters in devices do not support a channel that high.

As an example, the best performing one I have won't work if a channel is 128 or above.

Keith

0 Likes