cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

eero boxes and poor coverage upstairs

Retired-2
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 21

Hello, I went live with full fibre early New Year 2024 and am really pleased with it. I initially had 1 eero but due to poor connectivity I was sent another eero. This one improved things a lot and coverage is now good and initially I was going to leave it as it was. But upstairs the coverage always hasn't been the same fast speed. I have left it to see if things improved but they have not. Upstairs is where my office is located with my PC and signal yesterday was appalling, PC kept stopping and starting.  Sometime I would get the full Wi-Fi rainbow other times I only had 1 rainbow. In fact when I did a speed test the results were only double figures. The speed in my bedroom, also upstairs is not much better. So I have decided that I am not getting value for money and full fibre has much more to give and have decided to see if I if it's possible for me to have another eero box on my system to improve the signal upstairs.

Thanks

PS I've only just found you and I do like these pages.

Paul Harrison
Not really an expert in anything except forgetting, and I'm brilliant at that!
20 REPLIES 20

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 21

Hi @Retired-2 

You would think that a device would connect to the Eero with the strongest signal, but it is not that easy. One thing depends on how aggressively it will roam between the Eeros.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 21

Hi Paul,

OK, no problem. If you want to accept as solution just click on the 3 dots on the top right of the post and choose the option from the drop down menu

Chris

0 Likes

Message 3 of 21

Hi Keith, Chris answered my previous post, it seems that I have messed things up a bit. Anyway, from what he has told me the Ethernet gives me the best signal so that is what I'm going to do.

Can you just advise me as to what to do with 'Accept as Solution' for you please. BTW I'm not totally sure that Chris will have received my reply

Thanks for your offered help though.

Retired-2

Paul Harrison
0 Likes

Message 4 of 21

Hi Chris, thank you for your reply. From reading it, I have decided to connect via Ethernet as it is a brilliant signal. 

May I just ask another question please. Do I take it that a device connects to the eero box putting out the strongest Wi-Fi signal at a particular moment?

Do you know this is like wading through a jungle.

thanks

Paul Harrison
0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 21

Hi @Retired-2 

I had answered your other thread, but to save any confusion I recommend carrying on with this thread & I will delete the other one. My reply was:-

Which WiFi band is the office PC connected to? 

If you enter this command from the Windows command prompt:-

netsh wlan show interface

Then PM the output to me (to preserve your privacy).

The information below is provided by TalkTalk, for confirmation please contact @Debbie-TalkTalk or@Michelle-TalkTalk.

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue. Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others.

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc. one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 21

Hi Paul,

It's fine to connect a device to the Ethernet port. I've checked the speedtest from the gateway eero for the last 30 days and they are all consistently around 940Mbps. The throughput speed that you see on a specific device depends on a number of factors. The wireless signal strength to the device, the wireless capabilities of the device, also the wire signal strength between the gateway and leaf eero's (but if the speeds are very good when connected to the leaf eero by ethernet cable then the wireless speed between he gateway and leaf eeros must also be very good.

Also all the devices connected are sharing the available bandwidth

Chris

0 Likes

Retired-2
Sightseer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 21

Hello, it’s a while since I posted, although it says 2 seconds ago, and I was wondering if I had done so thing wrong again or are you extra use today?

paul

Paul Harrison
0 Likes

Message 8 of 21

Hello,  I received the additional eero box on Friday and connected it up. Thank you for that. After one or two tries, I determined that the best location for it was my office. The speeds in both bedrooms 200's download and 200's and low 300's. I thought that my problem was now sorted except my PC in my Office had a big problem it was only 56 down and 81 up. So what was wrong. I check the eero box and found that my PC, 6ft away from the eero box, was connected to the Hallway eero box. Sometimes it connected itself to Office eero box within 1 - 2 hours, sometimes this would be over 3 hours. When switching on from cold, it connects to the Hallway box to start off.

I decided to look up on the web any articles relating to fixing a location but couldn't find any but did find one suggesting that the best way of connecting to a particulate router is to use a wired connection. I tried that and it worked the speed is very fast. The speeds in the 2 other bedrooms upstairs and the bathroom have maintained their speeds and the all of them now connect to the Office. Would you tell me if I have done the right thing or do I remove the wire?

Also would you please tell me if the speeds I have now are what I should expect

i would appreciate you help please.

thanks

Paul  

Paul Harrison
0 Likes

Message 9 of 21
0 Likes

Message 10 of 21

Thank you

Paul Harrison
0 Likes

Message 11 of 21

OK, I've ordered another eero, it should be with you within a couple of days

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 21

Thanks for your patience. Yes I would please. 

Paul Harrison
0 Likes

Message 13 of 21

Sorry no, we don't get replies to emails, you have to post on the Community. It's showing good signal strength now but it was poor earlier. I can send another eero to test with, would you like me to arrange this?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 21

Chris, just want to make sure you got my email re pc had gone sleep because it was an email and not a reply on here

Paul Harrison
0 Likes

Message 15 of 21

Just to confirm, is the PC still switched on?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 21

Thanks, no I don't need you for anything, I'll take a look at it now

Chris

0 Likes

Message 17 of 21

Chris, I’ve switched it on. Do you need me for anything?

Paul Harrison
0 Likes

Message 18 of 21

Hi Paul,

Yes, if you could switch it on and let me know when you've done this I'll take a look at the network 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 19 of 21

Hi Chris, no not at present but it can be in 30 mins or so. BTW I tried my PC yesterday and it was ok. The problem earlier was that my pc was running very slow and when I checked on my eero app, I found that the stops and starts coincided with the swaps between my two eero boxes. My bedrooms upstairs aren’t great either but I don’t any have any pc or anything in those rooms.

thank you.

Paul

Paul Harrison
0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 20 of 21

Hi Retired-2,

Glad to hear that you're please with you service. Is the PC in your office currently switched on? 

Chris