cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home Phone

Get help with your TalkTalk landline and calling features.

Keeping an existing phone number

MAC19
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 19 of 19

My elderly mother needs to keep her existing landline phone number. We currently have 2 separate contracts to her house - the existing landline for her calls and my broadband. For vulnerability reasons, I urgently needed broadband at her house in 2021. I was told then that I could not port her number to a broadband contract. I arranged a separate broadband line to the house in 2021 as I did not have time to look into this and needed a fast solution. I am now out of contract on my broadband to her house. I want to merge my broadband and her existing landline number for calls into one contract and it is essential that her existing phone number is ported to whatever the new single solution is. I only need the basic broadband service to enable me to work from there when necessary. I am concerned that when you replace the copper line you will remove her phone number and want a solution in place before we lose the option to ensure the number is retained. Would you advise how i proceed? 

0 Likes
18 REPLIES 18

Message 1 of 19

Hi MAC19

I cant see any reason why an upgrade would be refused on your mums account. 

Looking at your mums account 2 things need to be added in order to upgrade the account, 

1 A mobile number (this is required to complete verification via SMS)

2 email address (this is required in order to send the contract information)

The loyalty team will be able to help. 

0 Likes

Message 2 of 19

@MAC19, the switch process to ordinary copper should still be straightforward. 

This would be fully copper (slow ADSL) or fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) which is still copper to the house with another Openreach serviced provider. 

You have to specifically mention when ordering that you want to retain your mother's current landline number. 

Setting up a switch should trigger a "sorry you are leaving" email to your mother. Does she receive her bills by email? 

At this point you would need to be in touch with Talktalk to haggle if they try to make her stay, or just carry on with the switch if the offer is just not good enough. 

Hang onto your own service till you know that this is well and truly sorted.

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes

Message 3 of 19

@Arne-TalkTalk 

Can I check if you have used the account details that I provided in my private notes to sense check my request before answering?

Would you let me know specifically why I was originally refused an upgrade while keeping the phone number?

Are you guaranteeing me based on your informed research into my mother's account that if I phone the customer loyalty team, TT will now be able to upgrade to broadband while keeping the existing phone number? 

What has changed?

thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 19

@Gliwmaeden2 Hi, if that is the barrier to TT upgrading to broadband but keeping the original number, how would you suggest I proceed? Is it likely/possible that another provider could do the upgrade and retain the phone number? thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 19

There should be no reason why the old legacy account (talktalk plus w line rental) cant be upgraded, did you speak to the loyalty team? 

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 19

@MAC19 You mentioned earlier that your mother's landline "is an old contract," is it so old as perhaps to be actually carried by another provider, in the days before TalkTalk were actually supplying their own exchange equipment? Otherwise, leaving aside that you have two connections to the same property, I am wondering what the impediments may be. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 19

I think you need to speak to the LOYALTY team & insist on it till you get your way, @MAC19.

It might take saying "thinking of leaving" to make them try harder. After all, it's highly likely that any other company would be happy to snap your mother up as a customer. All that's needed for the basic set up is a router and filter if it is ordinary "fast broadband" (their slowest service).

That should concentrate minds.

If she stays, it might be helpful if she is listed as needing priority support:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TalkTalk-Accessibility/ct-p/talktalk-accessibility

Message 8 of 19

Clearly, but I tried that and was told i could not upgrade to broadband and keep the current phone number - this is my original question. My mother is elderly and she needs her current phone number to stay in touch. What do I need to do in order to keep the original phone number and upgrade to broadband - what is the issue and how can I get a reasonable solution?

0 Likes

Message 9 of 19

Thank you @MAC19

I would say the easiest and cheapest option would be to upgrade your mothers account to add broadband, and cancel the other line that way you would have the full service and retain the number, Full fibre is not available at the address at the moment , but when it is available the VIOP option would have the same number. 

Regards

Message 10 of 19

Hi, I have now added the phone numbers, account numbers and address relating to this query. Let me know if you need any further details.

0 Likes

MAC19
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 11 of 19

Hi, I have now added the account numbers, phone numbers and address to private notes in my community profile as requested to help Talk Talk answer my query. thanks

0 Likes

Message 12 of 19
0 Likes

Message 13 of 19

I can't see the problem if she wants to upgrade from her old deal to a Broadband inclusive deal using her Talktalk landline number in a new contract, @MAC19.

Very odd.

0 Likes

MAC19
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 14 of 19

Both contracts are with Talk Talk.

Talk Talk refused/were unable to port/retain the original phone number when I urgently needed broadband. That's why I set up the second contract.

The landline only is an old contract,  as my mother only uses the phone she never upgraded - I will try the router but I think it is unlikely it is anything other than an old phoneline.

I am questioning the refusal/inability for an elderly person to keep their original number when moving to broadband/fibre including VOIP, especially with the impending changes when everybody will be forced to upgrade.

I will add more details to my community profile as requested.

0 Likes

MAC19
Popular Poster
Private Message
Message 15 of 19

Talk Talk are providers of both services. Talk Talk said they could not set up a broadband contract and retain the original phone number, as I needed broadband there urgently I got a separate broadband contract. I am questioning the refusal/inability to move to broadband/fibre and retain the original phone number. I will update my community profile with more information about both contracts, as requested.

0 Likes

Arne-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 16 of 19

Hi MAC19

We need some more information are both the services with us?  

Can update your community profile and put as much account information in the private notes such as full address and account number. 

Thank you 

0 Likes

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 17 of 19

@MAC19, if your mother's phone number is with another company you need to take out a new contract with Talktalk which specifically includes keeping that number.

That would involve specifically requesting the number to be kept.

Basic Fast Broadband may still be available, or FTTC Fibre35  - if the line is capable of it, Fibre65. But given that Fibre to the Premises is becoming inevitable, that might be the way to go if it is already available there. You would need to be sure that VOIP was available, and NOT data only.

Regarding your own Broadband service,  you'll need to cancel that, giving Talktalk 30 days' notice. I'd keep it going while FTTP is installed, to make sure that both the internet and her phone line are working properly before instigating the termination of the service that is in your own name.

However, none of this can be sorted out from here as staff can't set up new contracts and any cancellation must be put through by the account holder on 03451 720088.

To discuss this further use the Chat facilities:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/How-to-contact-TalkTalk-Broadband/ta-p/2230529

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/FullFibre/bd-p/FutureFibre

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 18 of 19

Who are the providers of the Broadband?

Who are the providers of the phone line?

TalkTalk do not do landline only contracts as they are bundled with the broadband. If TalkTalk are the phone providers have you tried the router on that port to see if you get a connection? If so, then you could use this and then cancel your line.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes