Contributor
philip1927
Founder

BT router on TalkTalk?

I reckon the talk talk router I have is cheap and nasty. Can I use the BT one I still have ?
Trusted Contributor
M44RKD
Founder

Re: BT router on TalkTalk?

Originally Posted by philip1927
I reckon the talk talk router I have is cheap and nasty. Can I use the BT one I still have ?

depends what it is, if its a homehub 2 type A it can b unlocked to work on TT
Community Star
jcampy
Founder

Unless its a home hub 2 version A no as it is locked down to BT

Don't forget to add your phone number to your forum profile

Community Star
Fred_Sheehan
Founder
Trusted Contributor
M44RKD
Founder

Originally Posted by fred sheehan
Have a look here;

www.psidoc.com/

yep thats exactly where i went to unlock my BT home hub, took a little less than 2 mins start to finish....
Super Contributor
Chris Ford
Founder

I would be interested to know which TT router you have. In my experience there is little to choose between the BT Homehubs 1 & 2a (both of which I used for some years) and the TT supplied units. It seems to me that all routers supplied as "free" options will have their issues.

I have in the past hacked both the Homehub 1 and Homehub 2a to work with the TT network but went back to using the TT supplied router.
Trusted Contributor
M44RKD
Founder

Originally Posted by Chris Ford
I would be interested to know which TT router you have. In my experience there is little to choose between the BT Homehubs 1 & 2a (both of which I used for some years) and the TT supplied units. It seems to me that all routers supplied as "free" options will have their issues.

I have in the past hacked both the Homehub 1 and Homehub 2a to work with the TT network but went back to using the TT supplied router.

i also hacked the HH2A to use with TT, 1 just to see how easy it was and 2 to see if was any good, and TBH the HH" is quite rubbish in comparrison to my netgear, it is very limited as to what u can actually do with it.... which is y it was hacked, tested, boxed back up and re-sold :smileyvery-happy:... netgear for me all the way :smileyvery-happy:
Community Star
jcampy
Founder

the onky thing is the bt units tend to look better then talktalk routers

Don't forget to add your phone number to your forum profile

Super Contributor
blackeagle
Founder

Originally Posted by markdyer72
i also hacked the HH2A to use with TT, 1 just to see how easy it was and 2 to see if was any good, and TBH the HH" is quite rubbish in comparrison to my netgear, it is very limited as to what u can actually do with it.... which is y it was hacked, tested, boxed back up and re-sold :smileyvery-happy:... netgear for me all the way :smileyvery-happy:

Isn't that hub a locked down Speedtouch TG797n? It should be fairly decent when unlocked. Certainly my TG587n v2 is on a par with my Netgear DGN2000 although the web interface is a lot slower. With both routers on stock firmware, the 587 syncs faster on my line than the netgear :smileymad::smileymad:
Current VDSL2 line stats (beta)

AMD Athlon II X3 435
ASRock K10N78FullHD-HSLI
Nvidia 9800GT 512MB
4GB DDR2 @ 800Mhz
1TB Raid
Windows 7 Ultimate

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
Trusted Contributor
M44RKD
Founder

Originally Posted by blackeagle
Isn't that hub a locked down Speedtouch TG797n? It should be fairly decent when unlocked. Certainly my TG587n v2 is on a par with my Netgear DGN2000 although the web interface is a lot slower. With both routers on stock firmware, the 587 syncs faster on my line than the netgear :smileymad::smileymad:

thing i found wi the HH2 is that i couldnt change dns servers, couldnt allocate static IP's and only limited to 1 wireless SSID, my DGN2000 with DGTeam firmware has all the freedom in the world for what i require :smileyvery-happy:
Super Contributor
blackeagle
Founder

Ah well, I can do static IP's and change DNS servers in the http config. Multiple wireless SSID's are possible, upto four, same as you can have, but to do this you have to telnet in and set them up manually.

Its also got a built in DLNA media server and two usb ports for attaching usb drives. Its meant to be able to share a printer too, but I've not succeeded in getting this to work......yet!!

Its the same hardware as the O2/BE wireless box IV but mine didn't come with their firmware on it, which is extremely locked down, but hackable in a similar way to the BTHH.
Current VDSL2 line stats (beta)

AMD Athlon II X3 435
ASRock K10N78FullHD-HSLI
Nvidia 9800GT 512MB
4GB DDR2 @ 800Mhz
1TB Raid
Windows 7 Ultimate

I did my best, it wasn't much
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you
Super Contributor
olliejaylewis
Founder

I use a unlocked HH and out of every router iv used it beats them hands down!
Wireless coverage seems a lot better, i can actually watch TV streamed from my Humax box while sitting in the bath. With every other router iv tried, signal level would drop out badly.
Plus it has a USB port on the back which which i have my printer and a hard drive plugged into as the HH has built in print and file servers. I play movies from the hard drive to any device in the house, and can print from any device.
It does support multiple SSID, changing DNS and static IP's.
The only downside is the fact that most of these settings can only be changed by telnet into the router since BT has its clunky, basic web front on there that cant be changed or replaced. A lot of the advanced stuff just isn't available from the web front.
With routers i guess its about what suits your needs, but for a dirt cheap price and relatively small amount of effort your getting a business grade router and if you don't like it, then you've not lost anything!
Trusted Contributor
M44RKD
Founder

yeah well i dont do telnet really i much prefer to b able t do it there n then in the interface, but as u say each to there own and my DGN2000 works well for me and suits my needs bridged with DSL2780 and also nas drive attached and also network switch so i not short on connections and also done ever lose connection :smileyvery-happy:, i did upgrade to the DGN2200 but i didnt like taht and found it didnt woprk as good as the DGN2000 :smileyvery-happy:
Contributor
deccs
Founder

Hi, sorry to bring a dead topic back but I found it searching through google.

I'm on a Mac and TalkTalk are refusing to send me a new router unless I take an 18 month contract out so I've been given a BT HomeHub 2 A but it's locked. Is there a way of unlocking it on Mac? I've looked on Psidoc.com but can't find any help. :smileysad: