New Contributor
Fuzzmeister
Founder

On Demand Buffering/TalkTalk player freezing

Could I request some assistance from an OCE please?
I'm finding that whenever I watch any of the Boost channels through the TalkTalk player the program often freezes. It will sometimes start again after a few seconds but often doesn't.
Something similar happens when I watch any program through OnDemand - typically iPlayer. It will play for a few minutes and then start buffering. Sometimes the program will pick up again, but more often they will come back with an error message along the lines of "there has been a problem with this service, please try again later".
I'm using Powerline adapters, but these are exactly as they were setup by the Bright Sparks engineer when he installed the YouView box a few months ago - he said everything was fine.
I've tried using a patch cable straight from a different port on the router but this was even worse - I could get the TV Guide up but nothing would play.
As an interesting comparison I've just tried watching the same program through iPlayer on both the YouView box and through my PS3. On the YouView box the usual buffering happened after about ten minutes. It played flawlessly on the PS3 - connected wirelessly, by the way.
I don't have a laptop to connect to the Powerline adapter to test the line speed it's giving; the Speedtest.net app on my phone shows around 10Mbps when connected wirelessly to the router.
I'd appreciate some help with this - I'm currently paying £10 a month for a service that doesn't work!
Retired
Nathann

Re: On Demand Buffering/TalkTalk player freezing

Hi Fuzzmeister,

Have the Boost channels ever worked? If you try changing channel and back again does this clear the freezing? Does rebooting the router, Powerline Adapter and router (in that order) clear the problem?

Thanks

Nathan

New Contributor
Fuzzmeister
Founder

Hi Nathan,
Thanks for coming back to me about this.
Yes, we've always had the problem with the Boost channels. Having said that my wife tells me they've been fine this afternoon!
When the Boost channels do freeze then it's as though the whole Player freezes - you have come back out and then go back in.
And yes, we've seen the advice offered around rebooting kit on other forum posts and it makes no difference.
Cheers.
Retired
Nathann

Hi Fuzzmeister,

What colour are the lights on the Powerline Adapter?
When you tried connecting via ethernet, did you try rebooting the router then YouView Box as it sounds like the YouView Box did not have an internet connection. Is it possible you could test connected wired again to help rule out problems with the Powerline Adapters.

Thanks

Nathan