Contributor
laverson
Founder

TalkTalk TV Review

I thought I'd post a little review of my experience so far with my package. It is my intention to post this review on other review forums but I've dropped it in here because there's a few points I'd like some feedback on and I'm happy for any satisfied customers to point me in the right direction if I've missed the obvious.
So I've had the TalkTalk TV, broadband and phone package for two weeks now. My estimated line speed was somewhere between 5 and 11mb but I'm getting approximately 6.5mb download and 0.5mb upload, a dissapointing speed based on the estimation but I'll address that in a separate post in the broadband forum. A point of note though, 6mb should be a relatively acceptable speed but if any other devices are connected to the network the speed is crippled greatly and I struggle to watch any on demand content.
My initial reaction to the Youview package was very good. The design of the guide and everything seems very nice and has a very professional feel to it. The box is very nice as well, the glowing lights are a personal favourite. It is by far the nicest box on offer (sky, virgin and even the generic Youview box). Its nice to have the ability to record, rewind etc. on all the freeview content and have access to the major on demand players.
I struggled to get all of the channels and some were very poor reception despite having no issues through my TV's built in freeview. Not a problem though, a quick pop to Argos and £20 spent on an aerial booster and the reception issues are no more.
After playing around with the box for a few days though there are several concerns I have with the service.
- Firstly the TalkTalk player is an absolute hideous, poorly designed mess. The guide is not full screen, the channel list displays only a handful of channels and the rest of the screen is occupied by that awful background image. Seriously? Who designed this? The entire TalkTalk player is a garish disaster. The colour scheme is wrong, the design is wrong, the background image is wrong. I could continue.
- There is no minimized now playing view in the corner of the guide. This makes flicking through the guide tremendously dull. It seems silly, but sitting in silence whilst looking for something to watch makes the TalkTalk player seem very amateur and out of place compared to the native Youview player. I know a miniguide can be accessed but its both ugly and not a full screen guide.
- I see no easy way to access the on demand episode list of a show that is currently on, it would be nice if you could access this using one of the coloured buttons for example.
- For me this is the worst part about the whole Youview/TalkTalk experience. The additional content, i.e. the Sky channels, are seperate from the freeview channels. I think ultimately this is where the Youview service will fail to gain significant market share. Having to search through two seperate TV guides to find something to watch is tiresome. In fact I have yet to watch a single show through the TalkTalk player and it is my intention to cancel my entertainment boost package and will not use the TalkTalk player unless it is suitable upgraded. It would be infinitely better if there was one guide for all content, why isnt this possible? The current Youview guide links to the BBC,ITV, Channel 4 and 5 players so why is there not a better offering? Even if I have to have two guides, can the TalkTalk player not have all Freeview content aswell? At the moment it is not user friendly.
- The remote control is rubbish. It looks nice but has been designed without any care for function. The buttons are of a horrible rubber texture with very minimal feedback so I often find myself having to push twice to register a response. The TALKTALK button is large, front and center with flashing lights and all, however the Youview button which is surely the most used button is shoved on a small unlit button somewhere on the left. You'll genuinely struggle to find this if you're watching TV in the dark. It should be larger, more central or have an easy to find texture.
- The whole YouView service is being grossly miss-advertised. The 7 day catch up is nothing more than access to the BBC iplayer, ITV player,Channel 4 and 5 players and even then not all of the content is "rewindable", Match of the Day is not available nor is Family Guy on BBC 3 and many of their other content. Many shows and entire channels are not catch up-able. There is no Film 4 catch up option. YouView and the seven day catch up is only available on content that BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 deem good enough to put on their respective online players. This is not being advertised and I think it needs to be made much more clearer. 7 day catch up and on demand content are one and the same but they are being advertised as separate items.
My verdict:
I purchased the complete TalkTalk package with the Entertainment Boost because I wanted a similar experience to that of Sky or Virgin TV because neither are available at my current residence. I was put off by the 18 month contract because of the relative youth of the service however my needs and the attractiveness of the service lured me in.
The Youview guide and content is very appealing but the TalkTalk player is just a complicated mess. Its separate from the other Freeview content, only a handful of which is actually available on 7 day catch up. It doesn't make sense that the remote has a much larger TalkTalk button that takes you to a poorer service than the smaller hard to find YouView button that will surely be the most used button. It seems like TalkTalk want the player to be the focal point but that just isn't the case and won't be the case unless there are some major changes.
A few questions to anyone in the know:
- What, if any, are the plans for updates? I know you can't give time scales for any updates but there must be people actively working on something, it would be nice to know what I can expect in the future regardless of how long it takes.
- Anybody know where I can find the remote control code for a Digitrex CT4071 TV? It worked before on a Sky box so I'm hoping it should work with my current box. I'm tied into this contract for the next 18 months, I'll be damned if I have to use two different remote controls.
OCE_Mark
Topics: 10
Kudos: 632
Solutions: 365
Founder

Re: TalkTalk TV Review

hi laverson,

In regards to your queries we cannot provide specific information on future updates, developments or changes at present.

In resepct to your TV Remote code can you confirm if you ahve checked this user guide for your TV Make and Model.

To enter the four digit code on your Huawei box please complete these steps.

1. Green button (top right, next to AV button) and OK button together until remote light blinks;
2. Enter 4 digit code;
3. Try and control the TV;
4. Repeat with alternative code if necessary

Regards

M:smileyhappy:

Contributor
laverson
Founder

My TV is not listed in the guide so I wouldn't know where to begin looking.
OCE_Mark
Founder

hi laverson,

From a bit of searching ive found the below comments on another site.

try using 0508 it worked for me on a digitrex TV on my sky remote
if you cant find the code for TV try using this method
press tv
press red and select together, you should get 2 red blinks
type 990
then type 1, count the number of blinks, no blinks = 0
then type 2,count the number of blinks
repeat this for 3 and 4, note the number of blinks you get for each number and note them down, this should be your TV's remote code for a sky remote

Can you confirm if this assists?

Regards

Super Contributor
gwatuk
Founder

Originally Posted by laverson
...There is no minimized now playing view in the corner of the guide. This makes flicking through the guide tremendously dull. It seems silly, but sitting in silence whilst looking for something to watch makes the TalkTalk player seem very amateur and out of place compared to the native Youview player...

Think you've got this bit wrong.
Maybe your box is faulty.
The guide has the "now playing" content in the top right corner.

:smileyhappy:
Contributor
laverson
Founder

Originally Posted by OCE_Mark
hi laverson,
From a bit of searching ive found the below comments on another site.
Can you confirm if this assists?
Regards

Hi thanks for looking. I have the Huawei player and it only accepts a 3 digit code so 0508 does not work. Also theres no "TV" button only an AV or green button and holding either of these and the OK button does nothing.
Originally Posted by gwatuk
Think you've got this bit wrong.
Maybe your box is faulty.
The guide has the "now playing" content in the top right corner.

I was playing with the TalkTalk player whilst writing the review so maybe I do have an issue. I'll check again tonight.
Super Contributor
gwatuk
Founder

...Also theres no "TV" button only an AV or green button and holding either of these and the OK button does nothing...

These buttons won't work until you've programmed the remote control to work with your TV.
Contributor
laverson
Founder

Originally Posted by gwatuk
These buttons won't work until you've programmed the remote control to work with your TV.

Thats cool, I'll just wait till there's an app that lets me control the TV using my phone, much like the Sky app :robotwink:
Although that still wouldn't get me TV controls...
OCE_Mark
Founder

Hi Laverson,

TO program a 4 digit code into the Huawei remote please take the following steps.

1. Hold Green button (top right, next to AV button) and OK button together until remote light blinks;
2. Enter 4 digit code;

Regards

Contributor
ianjw
Founder

Here's another digitrex code that might work

Valued Contributor
Barry Gilfillan
Founder

- For me this is the worst part about the whole Youview/TalkTalk experience. The additional content, i.e. the Sky channels, are seperate from the freeview channels. I think ultimately this is where the Youview service will fail to gain significant market share. Having to search through two seperate TV guides to find something to watch is tiresome. In fact I have yet to watch a single show through the TalkTalk player and it is my intention to cancel my entertainment boost package and will not use the TalkTalk player unless it is suitable upgraded. It would be infinitely better if there was one guide for all content, why isnt this possible? The current Youview guide links to the BBC,ITV, Channel 4 and 5 players so why is there not a better offering? Even if I have to have two guides, can the TalkTalk player not have all Freeview content aswell? At the moment it is not user friendly.

A revamped EPG is coming this summer, you can read about it using this link
Contributor
laverson
Founder

Nope neither codes work :smileysad: any other ideas?

That update would make the experience a lot better, thanks for the heads up!
OCE_Mark
Founder

Hi Laverson,

As we only officially provide support for the top ten models listed in the user guide, any further advice is outside of our support scope.

I have tried to investigate into remote codes for this TV however have been unable to identify any other than the advice given above.

Regards

Contributor
laverson
Founder

Thats cool, I appreciate the help so thank you.

I've decided to get a One For All remote, the SmartControl model, so I can control everything with one remote so its not a problem, assuming the TalkTalk box is compatible but I'll find that out tonight!
OCE_Mark
Founder

hi laverson,

No problem, please let us know if you have any other queries.

Regards

New Contributor
deanveggy

[ Edited ]

i agree with the review at the hub of this thread  as i too am disappointed with the design of Youview's EPG (electronic Program Guide) and assoc. handset.  The design is poor. why don't talktalk's designers look at a Humax? Big, bright coloured buttons that do what you want them to. I am a software developer and still find it difficult to do what i want, if i find it at all. There are so many design flaws i would have to take too much time /energy to address them all. Most of them should be simple to fix but should never have happened in my opinion.   A cpl of examples though as a taster.

The hidden Delete Key. I was in My Youview, looking at My Recordings. I wanted to simply Delete a recording. Could i find the Delete button? no. I scanned the screen for tips. i pressed Help. i phoned the good samaritans (who coulnt help but talked me into feeling better about myself). The screen said "DEL" to delete.  I couldnt see a DEL button. Eventually, after turning the lights on, finding my best readers, and much frustration i find a Key marked [sub/del] in tiny fonts. What?

Like the previous reviewer said. who designed this stuff, worse still, who allowed it past QA?   The frustrations don't stop there. we have to regularly dump stuff from 'our recordings'. So highlight the item, the (sub/del) key doesnt work if it's multiple episodes, you have to drill into it. Wait for it to load.  highlight an individual recording. press the key that most normal mortals cant find [Sub/del] wait again, then do the same for each episode. tedious.

There seems to be different sections in the EPG, and unfortunately key presses etc are not the same in each.

Bloated slow TalkTalk menu and unwanted adverts
Ok. I've paid for Entertainment Extra so i can watch my favorite Factual programs. I go into TalkTalk's (unfortunately disjointed) long winded  menu. Firs wait for for part one to load. Come back a bit later with a cuppa expectingt to be in the guide, but no, some misguided marketing people have filled the screen with sales junk with stuff we've read 100s of times already saying click ok to continue. then wait again. Once arrived you wait while the screen loads with more videos of  movie trailers (adverts) before they let you finally gain (slow) control to navigate to the channel wanted. So i've paid for a service and cant get there without a barrage of bandwidth hogging ads. ok moving on..  I have an interest in flying so i want to view the 'Air accident investigation' progs on Nat Geo (thats why i paid £10 per month extra).  I cant because apparently the programs are screened at 4pm (when i'm at work) or 2am. But i cant record them. I paid for Sky Movies. Added a movie to 'My Watchlist' (yellow button) but a few days later could not find any reference in the help guide or on screen. (perhaps thats an oversight by me but i gave up looking).

In short, TalkTalk has somethings going for it (the fibre broadband is fast and reliable and customer service is improving.... but their Youview box software (EPG) is poor, fragmented, unintuitive and annoying. i hope i can get sensible updates in the future but i doubt it .  Also their marketing people need reigning in from sitting on their fluffy clouds as contrary to their opinion we users are not all idiots; except me of course for being sucked in to their long contract. (talktalk's insulting 'half price only 7.50 per mth for n mths offers' i wasn't fooled by that however i am paying over 60 p/mth and still can't watch what i want to watch when i want to watch it...    As you can tell i'm a bit dissappointed, not with thier long suffering support staff (who have been good) but with TalkTalk's rather silly EPG, recording restrictions, unwanted adverts and marketing.

Retired
Nathann

Hi deanveggy,

Thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry to hear you are not happy with TalkTalk Plus TV. The service is constantly being developed and various software updates released to the YouView Box bringing additional features and improvements. We are working on bringing the live Boost channels to the YouView guide, the ability to record will come at a later date.

If you require any help or support then please start your own thread so we can look into them.

Thanks