cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

DN372T software update + internet/usb recovery mode

Futaura
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 8

I own a number of DN372T boxes - two in active use and two as a backup. Unfortunately, the HDD is dying in one of the active boxes, confirmed by SMART tests using Linux. Three of the boxes are fully up-to-date with the CS-3.8.128, MS-72.48.91, PC-4862 software, but one of my backup boxes hasn't been switched on for 4 years and is still on CS-3.6.138, MS-72.48.81 PC-4648 and I would like to update this. However, it fails to download the update and everytime I try the progress starts at 60%, doesn't move and errors.

I have only just discovered that TalkTalk cannot replace these boxes anymore, so I bought a replacement HDD for the box that needs one and am trying to use the "Internet/USB Recovery, delete recordings" to download the software, so that the box can install it on the HDD (software is stored on partition 1 of the HDD, as is plain to see from a partition editor in Linux). However, this download also fails. Swapping HDDs between working boxes also doesn't work, as presumably the box and HDD are tied together via serial numbers.

My attention is then drawn to the following thread: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TV/DN360T-DN370T-DN372T-Software-update-no-longer-working/m-p/29... which is most likely the issue I have been experiencing...

The server su.tv.talktalk.net still appears to be working fine, as mentioned in the above thread, but pcds.vlx.tv.talktalk.net (aka files.cdn.talktalk.net) does not, which is where the software update is/was stored.

My gripes are:

1. TalkTalk never informed me that the DN372T boxes were being phased out and the software updates were being taken down. If TalkTalk had informed their customers of this, I could have updated my box, which is now stuck on a 4 year old software version.
  2. Once any TalkTalk box suffers a HDD failure, it is now impossible to replace the HDD to repair them, because the "Internet/USB Recovery" option in maintenance mode no longer works, due to the problems with the update servers.

I understand that TalkTalk no longer supports these boxes, but it is very poor form to not keep the software update servers online (these are owned by TalkTalk, not YouView!), especially because it breaks the recovery option in maintenance mode. Please can TalkTalk look seriously at restoring access to software updates?  If not, please consider making the software file available to download so users can copy it to USB memory stick to use with recovery option in maintenance mode.

TalkTalk customer since June 2008 - Software Developer since 1991 - General Tech Expert
0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

Futaura
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 8

Just to conclude this thread, the issue with update servers has now been resolved. This means the the "Internet/USB Recovery" option in maintenance menu now works again. I have now been able to replace the failing HDD in one box and get the box working again with the latest software. I have also been able to fully update the software on the box that was stuck on an old update (last updated January 2020).

TalkTalk customer since June 2008 - Software Developer since 1991 - General Tech Expert
0 Likes

Futaura
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 8

Replacement hard drives for the DN372T cost £9 from eBay - the same WD AV model - hardly expensive. There is nothing wrong with the rest of the hardware - it is a TalkTalk server issue. Seems silly to bin perfectly fine hardware, just because of a server issue. But, anyway, forget about broken hard drives for now - think more of the users who find themselves with out of date software, unable to update their box.

I have now confirmed the findings from the other thread, using Wireshark. Software updates are now broken for everyone because the pcds.vlx.tv.talktalk.net update server is not responding correctly. The other thread said back in July that the requests were resulting in a 404 not found HTTP error, but now the server is failing to respond at all. This causes the "Internet/USB Recovery" option in maintenance mode to hang forever at a certain point (when it tries/needs to download the dn372t-upgrade-Cds72.48.91Mc4Ps3.6.216Pc4726Api3.2.0Sta12.01.30.P.release file).

As the other thread says, software updates are initiated via http://su.tv.talktalk.net/huawei/DN372T.01.P/001/standard/manifest.xml?serial=1234 and I have also found that internet recovery updates start with http://su.tv.talktalk.net/huawei/DN372T.01.P/001/recovery/manifest.xml?serial=1234 - the result of both is the same. It tells the box to download the above file, if that version is not already installed.

Hopefully, an OCE can investigate the server issue on Monday. It should really not be that difficult to solve, unless TalkTalk don't care.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 8

It seems as if you have tried everything to ressurect the box so I would say it's at the end of its life.

These boxes never have been as long lasting as others like the Humax ones.

As to why TalkTalk didn't inform you that they were being withdrawn, another question is, why should they? As far as they are concerned this would have been a business decision and those who had boxes wouldn't have needed to know as they were working. Alternative boxes were offered to customers if they were eligible under existing contracts. From what you say, the contracts applicable to your boxes have now expired.

To be honest the cost in trying to resurrect an old box, given the cost of a BT pro box, the latest recordable YouView box, at less than £75 from places such as CeX, doesn't seem worth it.

Good luck in getting this back working, and as said the box should overwrite the latest software, however old the current version on the box is (this was confirmed by YouView staff on their now closed forum when this question was raised).

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

Message 4 of 8

Working boxes are still supported to an extent. A refitted HDD however is unlikely to be, as you have found. 

0 Likes

Futaura
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 8

I don't visit these forums as often as I once did, so did not see any announcements here - certainly nothing was mentioned in my TT account page, or emailed to me by TalkTalk (either separately or in the monthly billing notifications).

The first two were supplied by TalkTalk as part of my contract renewals. The third was supplied as a replacement by TalkTalk, in January 2020 (when I last updated it), after the front panel on the first box started misbehaving (I swapped the front panel PCB from the replacement into the box with the iffy front panel, fixing my original box). The fourth was purchased from eBay as faulty, for spare parts, but in fact was/is working 100% ok (HDD tested good too).

The HDD is definitely dying on the box I have an issue with - it is failing diagnostic SMART checks and is developing bad sectors (initial symptoms were recordings failing, getting stuck on waking up, etc). So, I know the HDD needs replacing - there is nothing else wrong. The HDD in the other 3 boxes test ok. Unfortunately, as I say, it is not possible to swap HDDs between boxes to troubleshoot things that way. The new HDD (exact same model number and size as the original) was unformatted to begin with, but the three boxes I have tried it with, will not install the software on it or format it. I have also tried partitioning it manually, to the exact same sizes as working drives.

Factory and software resets do not require a full software reload as these options do not wipe the software completely. The Internet/USB recovery option does. As mentioned in the other thread, it seems likely that recent (at least 2 years) of incremental updates are still available, but if you need the latest full base software (which I believe is from May 2020), then that file is no longer available from the update servers. The software is installed on the HDD, so if you have a blank new HDD, you need to use the "Internet/USB recovery" to download the software onto the HDD, before any more recent updates can be applied. Hindsight is a wonderful thing - I wish I had downloaded and kept a copy of http://pcds.vlx.tv.talktalk.net/cds/from_huawei/PVR2_DN372T/Huawei_DN372T_B48SP91_Release_20200512/P... to avoid the current situation.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 8

Updates still work and are supported.

These boxes are old and sometimes the components within, not just the hard drives fail.

It's a shame the YouView forum is closed as there was a very comprehensive guide  on swapping in a new drive.

From memory the drive should be unformatted when 8nstalled as the box takes care of this. Also the TalkTalk boxes are limited to 320gb, so if the drive you are using has a greater capacity, I don't think it will work.

Perhaps searching for the topic may bring it up on way back?

It's true TalkTalk don't supply these boxes anymore, and have not done so for 3 years now. They, and YouView continue to support if there are maintenance release required. 

Also, when customers are having issues and factory resets are required the boxes download the current software so the servers have not been closed down.

As said, it may be an issue with the size harddrive, or the components in the box itself having failed.

Hope this helps.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).
0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 8

Quite a collection you have there! How did you come to acquire them all?

Swapping out the HDD was always at the user's risk with no guarantee of the replacement working. Now that the boxes are no longer supported I am not surprised that attempts at installing the software are failing.

As for their obsolescence, this has long been flagged and I am surprised you have only just appeared to notice. 

0 Likes