cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

WiFi booster

Abbie13
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 8

Can anyone recommended a wifi extender or booster please? My son is struggling with weak signal upstairs. We have the eero downstairs and I need something to help with the signal in his room but don’t want to spend a fortune. 
Thanks 

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 8

WiFi interference is easy to check, if you want to. Where the router is concerned, is it near any other electrical equipment, mirrors or fish tanks etc that could disrupt the WiFi signal?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 8

Yes just one. Think I need to move my router 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 8

Thank you 

Message 4 of 8

Thank you for your help

Message 5 of 8

Hi Abbie13

Thanks Keith 🙂

Sorry I forgot to add

KeithFrench is one of our valued Community Stars and can help with a range of issues related to wireless and networking. At times he may ask you to send him test results via a Private Message to help analyse/diagnose an issue.  Although Keith does not work for TalkTalk, he very kindly shares his time and knowledge to help with others. 

If you need further help or, if we need to take any details such as personal information about your account like phone numbers, account numbers etc.  one of the TalkTalk team will jump in and help out.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 8

Hi @Abbie13 

@Debbie-TalkTalk has asked me to help you.

The only truly correct way to extend an Eero is to use another one so that they form a mesh network. However, before going down that route, it would be sensible to check for WiFi interference.

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal or no signal on some or all devices or no internet access might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a byproduct of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

However, other factors should be investigated first. When this happens, what is the status displayed in the app for the internet connection? Do you have any wired connections & if so, how do they perform?

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

The next stage involves sending out a guide to you to help you get me some important diagnostic results so that I can analyse them for you and recommend changes to your router configuration to solve them.

I only send this out to people who request it.

Whilst the Eero is supposed to manage Wi-Fi interference, if this is very bad, particularly in the 2.4GHz band, then it cannot do anything about it, no router can. The same goes for any router at that point. Other things that may then need to be investigated are its location within your property and the WiFi bands that you use. 

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 8

Hi Abbie13

Do you have just the one eero?

@KeithFrench Could you offer some advice please? Keith provides really great advice on improving wireless performance.

Thanks