Occasional Contributor
bodach
Founder

D-Link DSL 2780 router slowing down

I joined TalkTalk from Pipex in September last year and since then, speeds have been pretty good.
I occasionally watch a few iPlayer programmes and have sometimes been getting buffering problems. Over the last few weeks, this has been getting worse and I also notice web pages are getting slower and slower to load.
To fix this I have been having to turn the router off for a few seconds then turn it back on again.

So, I contacted customer services at TT who asked me loads of questions then decided I needed to speak to a Tech Support guy and gave me a two hour slot between 6pm and 8pm that evening when they would call me.
So, at around 9pm, the guy rings.
His solution was for me to turn the router off once a day, that would "clear the cache" and get it up to full speed! (I was unaware that routers cache pages, surely they just keep a log of URLs that were used to read information.)

Brilliant, his fix for my problem was to carry on doing what I had been doing. He didn't want to listen to me when I queried this. I have been on broadband for a good few years and had a former career in telecoms. I have never had to reset equipment daily and if I had ever suggested that to any of my customers I would not have been invited back.......

So, I have taken out the D-Link router and fitted my old Netgear one and for the last few days, I haven't suffered from any slow downs. I don't need to keep resetting it either.

I suspect the D-Link router is faulty and it was obvious the tech guy didn't want to admit that.
So, what do i do? I don't think I will get anywhere trying to get a new router from TT so will stick with my old stuff for now.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has similar problems with their D-Ling router and if the fix I was told is a generally accepted one.

Allan
Super Contributor
T_PC_R
Founder

Re: D-Link DSL 2780 router slowing down

Have a look in the logs to see what is happening.
My D-link DSL2780 slows down when I get a series of xmas port attacks see other thread here and after doing tests it is related to F-Secure doing most of these attacks, See relevant thread here

If that is not the cause fill in the sticky questions here and an OCE will be able to help you further, please bare in mind that the OCE's work weekdays and normaly work hours, also they operate first to latest post, so may take a while to reply but they do get results resolved quicker than phoning customer services.
Honesty is the best policy why be forced to change,

How can we help those that are unwilling to help themselves
★Desk Jockey★Extended Profile★Basic Profile★Got Potential★Account Verified★Active

Participant ★Feedback Loop
OCE_Chris
Topics: 1
Kudos: 531
Solutions: 256
Founder

Hi bodach,

Welcome to the forum

I am sorry to hear about your poor experience with customer service

I can see that your router has been in sync for 4 days and the errored seconds count is low - I can only see the line history for the last 7 days but I can see that the sync speed was slightly higher and the errored seconds count was high too prior to the last few days - was this when you swapped the routers?

I think the problem may have started when DLM changed your profile to a faster one in mid February, this allowed the D-Link router to sync at a higher speed and caused more errors. The netgear seems to be syncing at a lower speed and the error count is much lower

Its fine if you would like to continue using the netgear but if you do want to try the d-link again we could try going back to the profile that you were on pre mid February

Chris

Occasional Contributor
bodach
Founder

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. I changed to the Netgear modem and wireless router around that time. I am happy to stay with it for now, changing means I have to change the wireless settings on all my equipment and I have a wireless laser printer that doesn't seem to like its settings changed often!

I'll keep an eye on it and lest you know if I get any problems

Does this mean the D-Ling router is faulty or that it just doesn't perform as well as my old equipment?

Allan
Super Contributor
T_PC_R
Founder

Originally Posted by bodach
Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. I changed to the Netgear modem and wireless router around that time. I am happy to stay with it for now, changing means I have to change the wireless settings on all my equipment and I have a wireless laser printer that doesn't seem to like its settings changed often!

I'll keep an eye on it and lest you know if I get any problems

Does this mean the D-Ling router is faulty or that it just doesn't perform as well as my old equipment?

Allan

I had to request a new router after speaking with TT since my DSL-2780 gave up after all the xmas port attacks, so it may be that the DSL-2780 just cannot cope.

I am looking forward to the new router in 3-5 working days lollollollol

Just hoping it will not be another DSL-2780
Honesty is the best policy why be forced to change,

How can we help those that are unwilling to help themselves
★Desk Jockey★Extended Profile★Basic Profile★Got Potential★Account Verified★Active

Participant ★Feedback Loop
OCE_Michelle
Topics: 2
Kudos: 743
Solutions: 330
Founder

Let us know how you get on :smileyhappy:

Occasional Contributor
bodach
Founder

Bit of a late reply but I thought an update would be in order.
I have been continuing to use my Netgear modem and wireless router and really haven't experienced any slowdowns. Last week, I fitted a NAS system to my network but had a few problems with it. Not knowing if it was my equipment or not ( it wasn't as it turned out, the problem was with the NAS) I took my equipment off and refitted the TalkTalk modem router. Almost immediately, I saw slow loading web pages and a general slowdown of my system.
It looks like the TalkTalk equipment is definitely causing the problem here.
I have refitted my old equipment ( now updated with a new Linksys E4200 wireless router attached to my Netgear DG834), and speeds are back to normal again.

Allan
OCE_Michelle
Topics: 2
Kudos: 743
Solutions: 330
Founder

Hi bodach,

In regards to the Dlink router, what is the MTU currently set to? Can you try changing the MTU to 1432 and if the MTU is already set to this try 1400 instead to see how the connection compares.