Reply
Banned
redchiz
Posts: 15,215
Registered: ‎01-11-2010

Speedtest.net

Is rubbish.

Three different servers: best, Manchester; auto, based on ping, Coventry; and nearest, Derby. All done within a couple of minutes of each other.





Super Contributor
MaxPing
Posts: 2,469
Registered: ‎17-10-2009

Re: Speedtest.net

Stop bragging. lol
Super Contributor
T_PC_R
Posts: 5,169
Registered: ‎02-03-2012

Re: Speedtest.net

Now try the TT speed test Mr ShOw OfF lollollol:smileytongue::smileytongue::smileywink::smileywink:

Saying that wasnt your average approx 10mbps lol
Honesty is the best policy why be forced to change,

How can we help those that are unwilling to help themselves
★Desk Jockey★Extended Profile★Basic Profile★Got Potential★Account Verified★Active

Participant ★Feedback Loop
Banned
redchiz
Posts: 15,215
Registered: ‎01-11-2010

Re: Speedtest.net

Ohhh, I'm not showing off, honestly! lol

Seriously, the faster the speeds, the less reliable the results. It's a poor resource, given that so many seem to regard it as the benchmark.
Super Contributor
T_PC_R
Posts: 5,169
Registered: ‎02-03-2012

Re: Speedtest.net

Originally Posted by redchiz
Ohhh, I'm not showing off, honestly! lol

Seriously, the faster the speeds, the less reliable the results. It's a poor resource, given that so many seem to regard it as the benchmark.


If you got marks on your bench, shows you have done some work and not skived off, so I was told by my old boss many years ago lol

So I used to get some oil and grease and make new marks on the bench lol
Honesty is the best policy why be forced to change,

How can we help those that are unwilling to help themselves
★Desk Jockey★Extended Profile★Basic Profile★Got Potential★Account Verified★Active

Participant ★Feedback Loop
Banned
redchiz
Posts: 15,215
Registered: ‎01-11-2010

Re: Speedtest.net

lol

Seriously though - again, he tried desperately :smileywink: - look at the discrepancies between those results. Joke. And people keep invoking that sort of rubbish when they moan about their broadband performance.
Super Contributor
T_PC_R
Posts: 5,169
Registered: ‎02-03-2012

Re: Speedtest.net

Originally Posted by redchiz
lol

Seriously though - again, he tried desperately :smileywink: - look at the discrepancies between those results. Joke. And people keep invoking that sort of rubbish when they moan about their broadband performance.


I have to agree with you there tbh.

No speed test can be 100& accurate every time they are run however they they do usualy give a very good reference to the current snapshot at that moment in time.

You may be able to word it better than I but I hope you and others get the gist.
Honesty is the best policy why be forced to change,

How can we help those that are unwilling to help themselves
★Desk Jockey★Extended Profile★Basic Profile★Got Potential★Account Verified★Active

Participant ★Feedback Loop
Banned
redchiz
Posts: 15,215
Registered: ‎01-11-2010

Re: Speedtest.net

Originally Posted by TPCR
I have to agree with you there tbh.

No speed test can be 100& accurate every time they are run however they they do usualy give a very good reference to the current snapshot at that moment in time.

You may be able to word it better than I but I hope you and others get the gist.


Not at all, you have said it perfectly. The keyword is "snapshot."

And if you find that your snapshots are generally consistent, as they are with the TT speed checker to be fair, then you give them a bit of credence.

The opposite, of course, makes you regard the results as suspect.
Super Contributor
T_PC_R
Posts: 5,169
Registered: ‎02-03-2012

Re: Speedtest.net

Originally Posted by redchiz
Not at all, you have said it perfectly. The keyword is "snapshot."

And if you find that your snapshots are generally consistent, as they are with the TT speed checker to be fair, then you give them a bit of credence.

The opposite, of course, makes you regard the results as suspect.


Spot on and couldnt say it better myself lol
Honesty is the best policy why be forced to change,

How can we help those that are unwilling to help themselves
★Desk Jockey★Extended Profile★Basic Profile★Got Potential★Account Verified★Active

Participant ★Feedback Loop
Super Contributor
barney
Posts: 19,574
Registered: ‎19-10-2008

Re: Speedtest.net

Banned
redchiz
Posts: 15,215
Registered: ‎01-11-2010

Re: Speedtest.net

Originally Posted by barney
Speedtest.net agrees with my TT speedtester results.


There's always one...

:smileytongue:

lol
Super Contributor
T_PC_R
Posts: 5,169
Registered: ‎02-03-2012

Re: Speedtest.net

Originally Posted by barney
Speedtest.net agrees with my TT speedtester results:



Looks like you got a bad grade on that test barney, is that normal on your line
Honesty is the best policy why be forced to change,

How can we help those that are unwilling to help themselves
★Desk Jockey★Extended Profile★Basic Profile★Got Potential★Account Verified★Active

Participant ★Feedback Loop
Super Contributor
barney
Posts: 19,574
Registered: ‎19-10-2008

Re: Speedtest.net

Originally Posted by TPCR
Looks like you got a bad grade on that test barney, is that normal on your line


Yep:smileyhappy: Although the F+ probably relates to the fact that the result is slower than 81% of the country rather than the actual quality of the connection.
Banned
redchiz
Posts: 15,215
Registered: ‎01-11-2010

Re: Speedtest.net

Originally Posted by TPCR
Looks like you got a bad grade on that test barney, is that normal on your line


Yes, it is normal, it'll take a couple of hours for him to get back to you. :smileytongue:
Banned
redchiz
Posts: 15,215
Registered: ‎01-11-2010

Re: Speedtest.net

Originally Posted by barney
Yep:smileyhappy: Although the F+ probably relates to the fact that the result is slower than 81% of the country rather than the actual quality of the connection.


Some people would dream of an F+, know what I mean, fnaar!
Contributor
Wightpete
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎05-11-2011

Re: Speedtest.net

I am happy with mine.

Banned
redchiz
Posts: 15,215
Registered: ‎01-11-2010

Re: Speedtest.net

Originally Posted by Wightpete
I am happy with mine.


Hey up Pete, where you been hiding? :smileyhappy:
Super Contributor
T_PC_R
Posts: 5,169
Registered: ‎02-03-2012

Re: Speedtest.net

Originally Posted by barney
Yep:smileyhappy: Although the F+ probably relates to the fact that the result is slower than 81% of the country rather than the actual quality of the connection.


Have you tried pingtest if so do you still get the same result
Honesty is the best policy why be forced to change,

How can we help those that are unwilling to help themselves
★Desk Jockey★Extended Profile★Basic Profile★Got Potential★Account Verified★Active

Participant ★Feedback Loop
Super Contributor
T_PC_R
Posts: 5,169
Registered: ‎02-03-2012

Re: Speedtest.net

Originally Posted by redchiz
Yes, it is normal, it'll take a couple of hours for him to get back to you. :smileytongue:


HAHAHAHAHA

Looks like barney beet you to it lol and he has much lower speeds, I suspect he has windows O/S lollollol
Honesty is the best policy why be forced to change,

How can we help those that are unwilling to help themselves
★Desk Jockey★Extended Profile★Basic Profile★Got Potential★Account Verified★Active

Participant ★Feedback Loop
Super Contributor
barney
Posts: 19,574
Registered: ‎19-10-2008

Re: Speedtest.net

Originally Posted by TPCR
Have you tried pingtest if so do you still get the same result


No, it's generally fine (usually A)



I'll get back to you in a couple of hours Chiz:smileyvery-happy: