Occasional Contributor
andyh

talktalk mail on Windows 8

Hi I've just bought a new Samsung laptop with Windows 8 installed.
Is there any way I can have mail on this as I did on my old PC with outlook express ?

I went into Mail and tried to go through the settings for this, but it said it couldn't work with POP3 (as used by talktalk). Is this right ?
Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

Re: talktalk mail on Windows 8

Windows 8 uses IMAP, try these settings;

Login username@talktalk.net
Incoming email (IMAP) IMAP.talktalk.net
Outgoing email (SMTP) smtp.talktalk.net
Occasional Contributor
andyh

Thanks Fred

I just tried adding 'Other' account to mail. It certainly has fields for IMAP and SMTP servers, so I tried the settings as you suggested but it still won't work. It has 'Port' fields alongside the above two fields, preset at 993 and 465, which I left as is. Also tick boxes for 'Incoming Server requires SSL', 'Outgoing server requires SSL', 'Outgoing server requires authentication' and 'Use the same user name and password to send and receive email', all preset as ticked, and left as such.

Any ideas ?
Super Contributor
eebdsirhc

Ok - I'm getting confused - I've asked Santa for Windows 8 for Xmas and I have been ever such a good boy, so I think I probably will get it.
This thread says that POP3 isn't supported by Windows 8 has me worried, as all my email is POP3 and I have been totally unable to find the server name for the BT Yahoo IMAP server.
But in trying to investigate this I came across :-
A Windows article that says POP3 is not supported in the Windows 8 Metro style mail app, but it does seen to be supported if you have an email client such as Windows Live or Outlook Express installed (as an app ?).
This link shows how to set it up for BT POP3 mail - the Talktalk one shouldn't be too different (just the server names ?).
Guessing you may need to install Outlook Express first if it wasn't pre-installed on your new pc, or installing Live Mail - more up to date and flexible.
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41558
Note - BT server setting may be different to TalkTalk settings, seems you may just have to use whatever your non Windows 8 settings were.
Or have I misunderstood something ?
Super Contributor
HyperNova

Super Contributor
eebdsirhc

Cheers - Hypernova - a question ....
If my current mail client (Live Mail) works in Windows 8, why would I want to use the W8's native (non POP3) app - is there something in there that is an absolute killer function that I couldn't possibly live without :smileyhappy: :robotwink:
Apologies to the OP, but more or less still on topic.
Super Contributor
HyperNova

I don't know the answer to that.

Pop3 email as you know when you access the email from server it transfers all the emails off the email server, with Imap it still keeps those email even after you have received them until you delete them from the email server.

Depends if you want to check your emails from different computers during the day then Imap is what you need

If you only need to access your emails from a static PC then pop3 is good.

But I use Windows live mail with a Hotmail account so don't use Microsoft Mail :smileyhappy:
Super Contributor
eebdsirhc

Cheers again -
It sounds like I will be ignoring Windows 8 mail as well - so good to know it is possible to live without it.
I don't use those new fangled mobile thingies for email, so accessing from my old steam driven desktop is all I really need.
K - Keep
I - It
S - Simple
S - Stupid
Works for me.
p.s. Not that it really matters, but you can get Live Mail, Outlook etc. to leave the original mail on the server.
Occasional Contributor
andyh

Thanks all
Even with those settings, Nigel and Fred, it still won't work.

Hypernova, your link looks a good way round. As a matter of interest, I did manage to set up outlook (with POP3) on the old PC so it didn't delete mails on the server, so had the best of both with this.
OCE_Chris
Topics: 1
Kudos: 636
Solutions: 272

Hi andyh,

Even with those settings, Nigel and Fred, it still won't work.

Could you just explain exactly what you have tried and exactly what the problem is at the moment, where it falls over, any error messages etc? I take it that you have no problem with webmail on your windows 8 laptop?

Chris

Be sure to give kudos and accept your solution

Occasional Contributor
andyh

Chris

1) Yes webmail is no problem, but I wanted, if possible to set up something like outlook, as I used to have on the old PC, where mail could be stored on the hard disk in various folders, and was generally a bit easier to use, especially for infrequent computer users.

2) I had hoped that 'Mail' under Win 8 would be able to give me these sort of options.

3) So I clicked 'Start', then 'Mail' and go to 'Add an Account'.
I click on 'Other account', then 'show more details' and fill in the fields required. I.e:-

My taltalk email address
My talktalk username
my talktalk password
then 'IMAP.talktalk.net' in 'Incoming email server'
and 'SMTP.talktalk.net in 'Outgoing email server'

The check boxes I have tried as default (all checked) or variously unchecked, and the port nos as default (993, 465), and as suggested by Nigel.

4) It tries these for a while then comes back with the message:-
'We still can't find the settings for (my talktalk email address). Providing this info may help. If you don't know this information, check on-line or with your service provider'

Any help would be appreciated.

Having said all that I don't know whether Mail under Win 8 will give me what I want anyway - I have to say, having been used to XP, Win 8 seems all a bit spooky, and its sometimes difficult to know exactly where you are !
Super Contributor
eebdsirhc

From the available evidence on the BT email web site, and Hypernova's post on this thread - you can just install Windows Live Mail (my personal choice) or Outlook or Outlook Express as an application - then carry on as before (just not using Windows 8 Mail).
This is the "how" link from BT for Live Mail - even has an install Live Mail button.
http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/41559/~/setting-up-bt-email-on-windows-live-mail-with...
Just modify your entries as per TalkTalk requirements.
Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

A typo from me in above settings, sorry, it should all be in lowercase;
imap.talktalk.net
smtp.talktalk.net
It shouldn't matter as case should be ignored, but you never know, maybe the client is being temperamental.
SSL should be left 'off' talk talk does not support encryption.
Which also changes the port numbers, port 993 is for a server that is using SSL, for talk talk the imap server is port 143 as SSL should be 'off'
smtp server is port 25
Hope this helps.
Occasional Contributor
andyh

Fred

Work, it does indeed !

Many thanks for your help.
OCE_Michelle
Topics: 4
Kudos: 953
Solutions: 393

Thanks for the update :smileyhappy:

New Contributor
goldsdav

Hi, I have exactly this problem with my talktalk email address not being found by mail in windows 8. Does anyone know if there is a solution for this? I've followed the thread but with no success.
Community Star
Fred_Sheehan

Originally Posted by goldsdav
Hi, I have exactly this problem with my talktalk email address not being found by mail in windows 8. Does anyone know if there is a solution for this? I've followed the thread but with no success.

Welcome to the forum

Try;

Login - username@talktalk.net
username - username@talktalk.net

Incoming email - imap.talktalk.net
incoming port - port 143
SSL should be 'off'

Outgoing mail - smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing port - port 25

if that doesn't work try different outgoing settings.....

outgoing port 587
authentication required - yes, 'use incoming settings'
type - TLS

regards
OCE_Michelle

Hi goldsdav,

How are you getting on?

New Contributor
goldsdav

Thanks Fred, your first suggestion solved my problem. I can now access all my three email accounts using mail.
Thanks again,
David:smileyhappy:
Originally Posted by fred sheehan
Welcome to the forum

Try;

Login - username@talktalk.net
username - username@talktalk.net

Incoming email - imap.talktalk.net
incoming port - port 143
SSL should be 'off'

Outgoing mail - smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing port - port 25

if that doesn't work try different outgoing settings.....

outgoing port 587
authentication required - yes, 'use incoming settings'
type - TLS

regards
OCE_Michelle

Hi goldsdav,

Thanks for the update :smileyhappy: