Occasional Contributor
joolz
Founder

very low connection speed

Been with talk talk for a couple of years and have had low connection speeds off and on. The best it has been is about 1500kbs download speed and this was after alot of messing about with main BT socket, taking readings of connection speeds regularly etc. The speed has gradually decreased and am now getting around 450kbs download and approx 200 upload. This has been ongoing but I was recently assured by talktalk that this could be improved with a boost and with a new router. Received and set up new router today and no improvement at all. I've persevered with talktalk for a long time but I'm getting to the stage where I'm not confident that they can resolve this permanently but only seem to tinker with things there end to get a steady connection with low speed as it seems when the connection speed is increased, the connection becomes unstable.My neighbour is also with talktalk and has 3mg speed! Can I please have a similar speed or better?
Banned
redchiz

Re: very low connection speed

Hi joolz and and welcome to the forums. :smileyhappy:

It will help others to help you if you can provide answers to the following questions:

1. What exchange are you connected to?
2. How many telephone extension sockets do you have?
3a. Do you have an NTE5 master socket?
3b. If yes to question 3a, have you tried the test socket?
3c. If yes to question 3b, how long for and did you notice an improvement in your connection?
3d. Do you have an iPlate or ADSL faceplate?
4. Is your modem/router connected to your Master Socket?
5. Are you experiencing any problems with your phone service?
6. What modem are you using? (Make & Model)?
7. Have you tested with an alternative modem? (Make & Model)
8. Have you tested with a different microfilter?
9. Are you using a telephone extension lead?
10. What is your modem SNR Margin down and up?
11. What is your bandwidth (Connection or sync speed) down and up?
12. What is your attenuation down and up?
13. Are you experiencing the disconnections at any specific time?
14. Are you currently using Wireless?
15. Do you have an Alarms and/or Sky boxes connected to the telephone line?

If you need help answering the above questions check out "Getting the questions answered."

Regards,
Chiz
Occasional Contributor
joolz
Founder

1. What exchange are you connected to? WSHAL
2. How many telephone extension sockets do you have? ONE
3a. Do you have an NTE5 master socket? YES
3b. If yes to question 3a, have you tried the test socket? YES
3c. If yes to question 3b, how long for and did you notice an improvement in your connection? HAVE TRIED FOR A WEEK A WHILE AGO BUT THERE WAS LITTLE IMPROVEMENT
3d. Do you have an iPlate or ADSL faceplate? DONT KNOW AS IT ONLY HAS "BT" ON THE FRONT
4. Is your modem/router connected to your Master Socket?NO, BUT MASTER SOCKET IS SITUATED IN AN INCONVENIENT PLACE.
5. Are you experiencing any problems with your phone service? NO
6. What modem are you using? (Make & Model)? HUAWEI HG532
7. Have you tested with an alternative modem? (Make & Model)BELKIN F5D8633-4
8. Have you tested with a different microfilter?YES
9. Are you using a telephone extension lead? YES
10. What is your modem SNR Margin down and up? Down 8.9 dB. Up 12.0 dB
11. What is your bandwidth (Connection or sync speed) down and up? Down 521 kbps. Up 405 kbps
12. What is your attenuation down and up? Down 52.0 dB. Up 29.3 dB
13. Are you experiencing the disconnections at any specific time? NO
14. Are you currently using Wireless? NO, NOT AT THE MOMENT BUT NEED TO USE WIRELESS FOR LAPTOP
15. Do you have an Alarms and/or Sky boxes connected to the telephone line? NO
Occasional Contributor
joolz
Founder

hi I'm now using the main socket, have changed the microfilter and rebooted the router but very little improvement. Have also tried both the Talk Talk and Belkin routers. The connection was unstable when using the TT router. Is there anything else I can do my end or do you have any suggestions you can come up with? I've attached the latest speed test result.
Banned
redchiz

OK Joolz, one thing you might like to try is having a look at the wiring in your phone sockets, check out the guidance here: www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
Occasional Contributor
joolz
Founder

I detached the orange bell wire in the main socket which didn't make any difference.
So I tried it without the bell wire through both the main and test sockets and these are the Line stats:
Through main socket:
DSL Line Speed up 396 down 498
Line Attenuation up 29.1 down 53.0
SN Margin up 12.1 down 8.3
Through test socket:
DSL Line Speed up 357 down 880
Line Attenuation up 30.5 down 52.0
SN Margin up 11.9 down 11.4

Hope this assists with diagnosing my problem.
Can anyone suggest a solution to my slow connection? I reckon if there was a prize for slowest connection speed I would win by a mile.
Occasional Contributor
joolz
Founder

Can anyone suggest a solution? As I said, if there was a prize for the lowest speed I would win by miles! Come on TT - you can do better I hope.
:smileymad:
Banned
redchiz

Hi again joolz

It's best to sit tight now and wait for an OCE response. They work oldest posts first, so try to avoid posting again until one of them replies, otherwise you will just be moving yourself to the back of the queue.
Valued Contributor
baz134dog
Founder

Sorry, can I just add something, you need to disconnect wires connected to terminals 3&4 at all sockets for best effect otherwise you'll still get a difference between the Test and Master sockets.:smileywink:
OCE_Michelle
Topics: 4
Kudos: 850
Solutions: 346
Founder

Hi joolz,

We can try a faster profile but it may make the connection unstable. Just to confirm, is the modem connected directly to the test socket at the moment?

Please can you ensure that the modem is set to always on or disconnect if idle set to 0 in the modem settings.

To change the HG532 to always on (nailed up) you need to:
open browswer and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar, then press enter
type "admin" for the username and password and press OK
click on advanced in the left hand side menu
click on OK to the advance user warning
Click on "Basic" in the left hand side menu then WAN
In the main window go down to "Dialling Method" and select "Auto" from the drop down menu
Click the Submit button at the bottom of the screen to save settings.

If the connection is stable at the test socket then we can try a faster profile.