cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Can't send email using Outlook

Paul_K2
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Private Message TalkTalk

Message 22 of 22

Hi Gondola,

Long time, no speak.

ISSUE

I'm having a similar issue to NanoSea with slight differences. I'm unable to send from the laptop. Started Tue 13th Feb totally out of the blue. HP Envy 17 laptop running W11 and I'm using Outlook (New) loaded by supplier (Currys). Only purchased in Dec 2023!

ACTIONS TAKEN

After yesterday's problems, I have tried to isolate where the issue lies. I initially tried to revert to Outlook (Old) which failed to work, tried a basic repair to Outlook (no change) then a deep repair (again no change).

After the failure, I did find an email in the Hotmail inbox with the message:

It looks like we don't have permission to get email for xxxxxx@tiscali.co.uk.
Account Status:
The last successful sync was on 13/02/2024 09:52:23 UTC.

This has happened to me before on my old laptops, so went into Outlook.com (is this Windows Mail that you refer to as I don't have it on my new HP?) and retyped the Tiscali password. (Not sure I understand why it would change or why there is a sync required anyway.)

Note, since having the HP, I have never been able to drag & drop Hotmail emails into Tiscali or vice versa, which I used to be able to do. Could that be part of the issue, or is that irrelevant?

I then sent a TT webmail out which was received, and Samsung Mail on my phone seems to have sent ok tonight (awaiting confirmation of receipt). 

While the errors are a little different to NanoSea's, with a different TT code, they refer to outgoing SMTP server errors. I'm unsure also why I have 2 different Failure codes. The email app settings look correct to me and I'm receiving emails ok. I'm not sure how to change the password in Outlook's settings as there doesn't appear to be that parameter present (nor do I understand why they are linked- I would have thought Outlook.com's pwd would be the only one needed.

Please HELP...any thoughts please? 

SmtpSubmissionPermanent5XXException: 
Smtp submission failed. Server 'smtp.tiscali.co.uk' Port '587'. -->
Unexpected SMTP server response.
Expected: 235, actual: 500, whole response: 500 5.7.0 aJsRrv1nmPjGQ Authentication Denied (TT320) Failure code: cf24

AND:
SmtpSubmissionPermanent5XXException: Smtp submission failed. 
Server 'smtp.tiscali.co.uk' Port '587'. -->
Unexpected SMTP server response. Expected: 235, actual: 500, whole response: 500 5.7.0 a1F6ruBrvj5AL Authentication Denied (TT320) Failure code: 3b3e

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 21 of 22

Hi Paul

Which version of Outlook have Currys loaded onto your laptop?  I deduce it's Outlook 365 or Outlook 2021 perhaps? i.e. standalone Outlook email client software.

Outlook.com is Microsoft webmail so this is not the same as email client software.

I can see a number of issues.

1. The Outlook software is incorrectly set up as it should not use smtp.tiscali.co.uk servers
  2. TT320 means the smtp.tiscali.co.uk servers are denying access because there have been too many attempts to authenticate a connection to the mailbox
  3. In Outlook.com your hotmail account is configured to add your tiscali.co.uk account and to connect via the IMAP protocol to download tiscali mail messages
  4. If Outlook.com (or standalone Outlook email client software) has the hotmail account and the tiscali account set up as IMAP email accounts then you should be able to drag and drop mail between accounts

Troubleshooting tips:

• Sign in to TalkTalk Mail webmail to check the password works
  • If the password is weak then upgrade it - I recommend 12 - 15 multicase letters, numbers and at least one approved symbol.
  • Change TalkTalk Mail email settings to those recommended by TalkTalk and update email software and apps

The TalkTalk Mail Support Hub is your go to resource for information, guides and Community support for TalkTalk Consumer home broadband and MailPlus subscribers.

Select here:
TalkTalk Mail Support

TalkTalk Mail help
Using TalkTalk Mail

Changing your email password

Email settings and device setup guides for TalkTalk Mail

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution