cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Keep alert!

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 12

Scammers are exploiting the recent upgrade / migration of emails and sending out plausible looking information to customers. 

Don't click on any links asking you to refresh your service!

Details of the correct webmail link are found in Talktalk's own information pages, here:

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Webmail-Update/bd-p/webmailupdate

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
11 REPLIES 11

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 12

Another one to report as Spam/ phishing (TalkTalk let it slip through):

Screenshot_20240216-133249_Email.jpg

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 12

Talktalk still not blocking this sort of variant of the "refresh your contact" phishing scam, despite it being reported previously. Gmail always spots it.

Talktalk could do better.

I've reported it to the government site for phishing reports, but won't bother sending it to Talktalk as they never acknowledge it. 

Screenshot_20231013-232133_Email.jpg

Message 3 of 12

I'll have to feed the hamster 🙂

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Message 4 of 12

Ah yes! At least 15 seconds.....

I notice that sometimes the search engine is very slow to respond too, @Karl-TalkTalk, but don't usually have this issue with links within a thread etc.

In fact putting a query directly into the search engine is usually slightly sticky, but not as much as this!

0 Likes

Message 5 of 12

Hi

Just tested the link, it was a bit slow loading, but did eventually open the link to the phishing content page.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 12

@Karl-TalkTalk, the link you posted at the foot of your original reply is not currently taking me to the support article.

20231002_085808.jpg

Got a similar email today which I have reported, purporting to come from the Halifax. Have forwarded it to phishing at Talktalk. 

They are now inserting "update information" rather than "refresh" in something that looks like an authentic message from the Halifax, so all very plausible except banks don't do it this way and it comes from "lemmyv@tiscali.co.uk".

Also a give away exclamation mark in the title.

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 12

A quick reminder of what the true Talktalk email looks like, ahead of migrating:

Screenshot_20230924-193212_Email.jpg

Rather worryingly, no attempt is made to address the customer by name, so this actually looks more like a scam. This one is not.

However we have learnt this evening of a recent phishing email where the sender has gone out of their way to personalise the email, addressing the customer by name.

So these checks and balances are not watertight. ....!

Then, more similar wording. This is the original true Talktalk version:

Screenshot_20230924-193226_Email.jpg

The follow up email looks like this:

Screenshot_20230924-193318_Email.jpg

Subsequent sections contain links:

20230924_195433.jpg

@Karl-TalkTalk, grateful if you could feedback to the sender of the authentic emails that the presentation does not lend itself to good security practice. 

Simply using "Hi" .... banks tend to use a postcode which is better even than a name.

Too many links that may tempt customers to click through, rather than err on the side of caution. While the genuine email won't cause harm, it doesn't represent best practice. The lure of promoting the upgraded email appears to have distracted from presentating a simple recommendation to explore directly from within webmail itself, accessed from a known Talktalk website page.

Whoever is behind the phishing scam is exploiting this rather lax standard of presentation. The fake Talktalk messages are very convincing lookalikes. All that customers can go by really is hovering over the sender's name and not clicking on any links, regardless of what they supposedly take us to.

td123
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 12

@Gliwmaeden2  @Karl-TalkTalk  @Pash02

I have also forwarded mine to phishing@talktalk and to report@phishing.gov.uk but it won't be that easy as (no surprises) the scam mails aren't coming from just one address, mine was from gary.mcglouglin @tiscali.co.uk whereas others report them from mannelic @talktalk & helenarandles@ tiscali.co.uk  and no doubt there will be many more so blocking them all will be a full time job..

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 12

Excellent.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

Pash02
Enlightened One
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 12

I have just reported mine to report@phishing.gov.uk but will send to TT also now 

Thanks

ScamScam

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 12

Hi

Our security teams are working to block any email or links they identify, so if you do think you have received a suspect email, please report this to phishing@talktalk.co.uk

Help with Phishing emails - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips