cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Finding help

Night_Eyes
Chatterbox
Private Message
Message 9 of 9

Can somebody please tell me how I find the actual help section on the talktalk website?  I have a long series of problems, all of which boil down to "I'm getting terrible service", and I would like to discuss them with a real person via their interactive text-based help.  I have just spent the past hour searching their website for access to this service, but I am stumped.  Everything just keeps bringing me back to these forums. They may be very useful for some things, but right now I want to interact with a live member of the talktalk help team. I know there is a way of doing this, because I have done it before, several months ago, but I simply can't find it now Would some kind person please give me explicit instructions on how to navigate to the place where I can start the help process? Thank you very much in advance.

0 Likes
8 REPLIES 8

Message 1 of 9

Morning,

Thank you. I've run a test on the line now which hasn't detected a fault and I can see that the sync speed has been gradually increasing over the last week. I can also see 2 re-connections on the line. Can I just confirm, is the connection ok if you connect wired? I'm just trying to confirm if this is solely related to the wireless connection as we can then offer more advice.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 2 of 9

Update...   In the Coms Locking problem, I said there was no discernable pattern.  I was wrong there is.  At least, today there is.  I ran Task manager and displayed wifi speed while I was skyeping.  Exactly every minute the audio input would cut out for ~1 to 15s, usually about 8-10s.  To be clear the happened every minute, and always started exactly a minute after the previous dropout started.  Interestingly, they could still hear me - so upload was fine, but download speed was obvious zero.  I also noted what speed was needed when the downloaded audio was working OK, and it was typically ~200kbps.

0 Likes

Message 3 of 9

OK, done that.

0 Likes

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 4 of 9

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 5 of 9

OK Karl, thanks.  I still plan to try to contact the interactive help, but if this gets seen by you folks too, then I may as well.  It is a long one.  The problems break into two main sections - Broadband and TV. 

Within those, there are multiple problems.  I suspect there may be an underlying cause.  I have been with talktalk for a long time (20y?), initially via ADSL when I was supposed to get ~8Mb.  I very rarely got >0.5M.  Then I moved to fibre and the speed improved, but nothing like the advertised value.  Now I am on fibre 65 and the speed into my router is often <40Mb.  I also get frequent drop-outs.  So I suspect there is, and always has been, an underlying problem.  The list below is a set of examples of how that problem (or problems) manifest themselves.

BROADBAND

Generally slow:
I am on the fibre 65 scheme. Nominally I ought to get 65Mb. My guaranteed minimum is 45Mb. I usually get 10-30Mbto my
PC. This is true whether I use the Talktalk speed checker, Ookla, the broadband speed checker, or others.
My PC is not next to my router, and I can't easily move it, but if I use a laptop or a kindle in the same room as the
router I get similarly low speeds. Even my line speed is low - usually in the range 40-44Mb at best. This is below the
guaranteed minimum of 45Mb. I do not believe I have had above 45Mb at any time since I started the fibre 65 scheme. Do
you not owe me a rebate?
In all cases above, upload speed is typically ~8-12Mb.

Big download speed reduction when VPN running:
I use Mcafee and they provide a VPN for enhanced security. I always use this when doing online banking etc., and would
generally prefer to have it running. However, the download speeds I get when it is operating ar often less than half what
I get when it is switched off. I would expect some drop, but this is a big drop.
I work from home and my work laptop is set up such that it will not connect except via the VPN my employer hosts. I
therefore have to use a vpn when working.
I understand that there are various issues concerning my service provider that can affect download speed via VPN. I would
assume that, since Mcafee is a large company, their VPN server is going to have a reasonable throughput, so the large
reduction I am seeing should not be down to them.
I would like to find out what the speed is with my work laptop, but when I use that to run the talktalk speed cheker, the
site just gives me a failure.

Frequent coms locking on Skype etc:
I work from home a lot. Recently, over the past few weeks/months, I have started to experience video and audio links
"freezing" briefly but often. Even on a skype call with just one or two other people - and even if they and I are NOT
transmitting video - their audio (and video if it is being transmitted) will stop. I recently measured the effect. On
average, the freezes lasted for 2-10s and occured roughly every 5-30s, but there was no obvious pattern.

Fault finding failures:
When I try to run a line check on the Talktalk website, it initially warns me the phone may be out of action while it
checks the connection, and, after I assent to it proceeding, it starts the check. But then it comes back with an error
message saying it could not perform the check. Thereafter if I try to run it again, it says there is an active fault which
is being investigated. It also says, check again in a few days time and if this notice is absent, then the problem is
fixed. When I check back, the notice is gone, but the problem is still there.
I went through the fault reporting procedure some time back and at the time decided to switch to the fibre 65 plan. When I
reported that it was still no better, I was told, it is just settling in, give it time. But that was months ago and it is
still no better.
The last time I tried to check my telephone line on the Talktalk website, it gave a fault - ref REP-12420703.

Mobile Phone cut-outs when connecting via wifi:
Yesterday, my wife was using her mobile phone to make a phone call via the wifi and several times it cut out during her
conversation. This is much like the effect described in my issues with skype etc.

TV

App TV stopping & pausing:
Very often, when watching a film from Prime or Netflix in the evening - usually between 22:00-24:00 - it will pause for
very long periods, go very slowly or just cut out altogether.
However, I do not think the problem is with the line bandwidth. I think it is a problem with my Talktalk TV box because:
1, if I completely power down the box and power up again it (eventually) sorts the problem, and,
2, If I switch to watching the same film via my Kindle, it usually runs just fine.
So I really think this is mainly a Talktalk TV box problem.

Start Up:
If, to solve the above problems, I do have to turn the Talktalk TV box off and on again, it takes a long time -about 5
minutes or more - to restart. When doing so it displays a notice that there is a faster way of doing start-up, but I have
tried to go through the settings on the TV and cannot see how to get that to work. Some explicit instructions would be
useful please.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 9

Thanks.  That is just what I was looking for.  I feel dumb for not being able to find it.  Starting from the entry page, can you tell me how you navigated to that page please?  By the way, how do I do this:

"Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer)."

0 Likes

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 7 of 9

Hi

And if you need our help, you can post here in the community and describe your issue.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 9

If you wish to chat online, there is a link on this page.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/articles/our-live-chat-team/ta-p/2230529

Opening Hours can be found here - https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Articles/Our-update-on-Coronavirus/ta-p/2468300

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).