cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

NEW ROUTER PROMISED

stoneyman
Team Player
Private Message
Message 11 of 11

Today I was contacted by Jack who said he was going to send me a new router but first wanted to remove errors on my current router. Having checked further with TalkTalk they confirmed they have no one called Jack and it would appear this is a scam.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10

Message 1 of 11

Hi Linwin

Please can you create a new topic here Broadband - TalkTalk Help & Support

We can then take a look at this for you.

Thanks

0 Likes

Linwin
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 11

I've just had a call on my landline from George saying he is from Talktalk saying that they have detected errors on my router and need to do a download on my router to fix it. Is this a scam? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 11

Good morning,

Ok, thanks for letting us know and please let us know if there is anything else that we can help with.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 4 of 11

Hi Debbie,

My current router seems to working ok so need to send a replacement

Thanks

Stoneyman

0 Likes

Message 5 of 11

Hi stoneyman

Thanks for confirming your details. 

I can't see a router ordered so the call you received was not from TalkTalk, apologies for this.

Do you need a replacement router, would you like me to order one?

0 Likes

Message 6 of 11

Hi stoneyman

I'm just sending you a Private Message to confirm some details so I can check your account.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 7 of 11

Jack did say that my new DLink Router would arrive by Royal Mail on Friday and I would need to send back my old router. 

0 Likes

stoneyman
Team Player
Private Message
Message 8 of 11

Sorry did not get a telephone number as it displayed a private caller and number was withheld.  When I asked him if he was a genuine talktalk person he was able to quote my account number and how much my monthly bill was.  After being online with me for nearly an hour saying how many errors were on my router,  I decided that he was not genuine and ended the connection.  I have since removed the remote access software. I also noticed that he had managed to turn of the TT Virus Alert so he could download his remote access link. From what I can see I am not aware that any data has been compromised.  He has since tried to ring me several times again today which I finally answered to say that TalkTalk had no knowledge of a free replacement router being issued in this manner.

One interesting point - Jack did say that he was getting cut-off when on phone line and had logged a call to have my telephone line checked by TalkTalk - I can see on My Account that the fault has been recorded.  I am currently not experiencing any connections issues with my broadband - 29mb download & 4 mb upload speeds.

0 Likes

Debbie-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 9 of 11

Hi stoneyman

I'm really sorry to hear this.

We would not contact you to do this to your router.

Were you experiencing issues with your connection previously?

Do you have the number the person called from? You can report this number here Who is Calling me from this Number UK | Check Number - TalkT (talktalk.co.uk)

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 11

Did you give Jack access to your router or PC?

If so change your passwords on the router and anything else he accessed.

Perhaps you can detail what he did, or you did in response, so that advice can tailored for you.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).