cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

tiscali email fail on New Outlook

GBy123
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 24 of 24

There is another post about this and a possible solution but here goes.

I am using New Outlook (Microsoft just changed me to it several weeks ago and I have stuck with it).  It has been working until yesterday (previously posted about this).  tiscali emails are not received and the sent ones go into the drafts folder and I get a message trying to send, try later - but they do not go).  tiscali works on Webmail and also on my tablet (gmail).  I use imap settings.   It appears that something went wrong yesterday with New Outlook.

I saw from the other post that you are suggest checking the account settings - removing Outlook and putting it back.   I have not tried anything yet.    My set up is as follows:

I am using a pc with Windows 10, up to date.  I have a main 'Live' email address that is,  I assume Outlook, but is it the New Outlook now,  I think this is my primary account.  I have a tiscali email which is shown below the Live email - with inbox,sent,deleted etc. etc.     I use the tiscali 99% of the time.   I had to have a 'Live' address to set up Microsoft account.   if I recall I could change ports etc. in the manage accounts section.    Now I cannot access that (as explained by you).  I can manage the tiscali one which at the moment is:

imap.  tiscali.co.uk

Port 993

Secure   SSL/TLS

SMTP config:

smtp    tiscali.co.uk

Port 587

Secure Com type - StartTLS

What I want to know is - if I remove and add back the 'Live'  (outlook.com) one as instructed, do I have to change anything on my tiscali one  ....  How do they interact?     Whenever I look at other settings everything seems to point to the 'Live' one and do not apply to tiscali (e.g. rules says inbox rules not supported).

I am utterly confused by it all.    I have sent myself mail (tiscali)  and it just gets stuck in drafts.  As I said, it all works everywhere else!    If I remove outlook and add back, will that change to New Outlook?  Or is it still Outlook .com. 

I am sure there are other people with a similar problem(or will be when they are put on New Outlook) and I was not surprised when tiscali failed  - just really fed up.

If anyone can help, thank you very much.      

23 REPLIES 23

Message 1 of 24

Well,  it has been a while since I replied on this thread but here goes. 

I got fed up with the whole thing and went onto Microsoft Community to tell them about this issue and ask when it would be fixed.  I said that they had told TalkTalk it was up to them to sort.   I thought it may be interesting to see what they said, so copy here the posts.

I may have clouded the issue by mentioning that we could not change account settings, but had to delete accounts and add them back.  They chose to answer that , downplaying the email  problem I wanted answers for.    Anyway, here is what they said:    It may be useful for others to know how to deal with the account settings, but it does not give a definitive answer to  the New Outlook/tiscali TalkTalk saga.   

Microsoft:  There is a bug that is close to being fixed where users with IMAP accounts can't update their SMTP settings. A workaround you can try is the steps below. Using the option "remove from all devices" is required, we need to completely remove the account so that the settings for IMAP and SMTP are re-stamped properly.

Open the new Outlook and navigate to Settings > Email Accounts.
2. Select Manage for the account to be removed
3. Click ‘Remove’ under the IMAP account.
4. When prompted, select “Remove from all devices” and wait 10 minutes for this process to complete.
5. Close new Outlook
6. Open the new Outlook and navigate to Settings > Email Accounts> Add Account.
7. Input the email address, then select Continue.
8. On the next page, below the IMAP password field, select Show More
9. Fill out all the fields for Incoming Server, Port, and Secure connection type
10. Under SMTP Configuration, ensure SMTP Username and SMTP password is correct. Please input the SMTP password even if it matches your IMAP or Account password.
11. The fill out all the fields for SMTP Outgoing server, Port, and Secure connection type
12. Select Continue to add the account

Me:  Thank you for that. I think the bug you are looking into may be to do with changing account details? but that is not my main worry. I assume this will not fix the problem that New Outlook will not work with TalkTalk? Anyway, I would like to know when, if and how we will be notified when New Outlook mail starts to work with TalkTalk/tiscali (IMAP). Hopefully very soon.

Microsoft:  That is correct that the current bug is preventing the settings to be updated if you try to change them manually. This is why you need to choose the option to "remove from all devices". This will completely remove the account so that when you add it back it is able to apply the settings properly. I checked with the New Outlook Team, and they don't have any known issues connecting with TalkTalk. The issue you are seeing could have happened with most any IMAP account. In my opinion I would go ahead and do the steps above and see if you can get it back working.

Me: I cannot understand how you can say that New Outlook Team do not have any known issues connecting with TalkTalk(tiscali). I (and others) have been advised by TalkTalk that there is an issue with Microsoft and nothing to do with them - we have to wait until Microsoft fixes it. Perhaps I did not make it clear  what my issue is with New Outlook email. On the 13th March New Outlook would not send or receive emails on my Windows 10 desktop p.c. Sent emails go into the draft folder I get a message to say 'something went wrong and we haven't sent your message yet'. Nothing has been received into inbox. My 'Live' Microsoft email works just fine. TalkTalk Webmail works and I can also send and receive emails from my tablet using gmail so it is definitely an issue with New Outlook (on my PC) that started on 13th March.You have said you are in the process of fixing a bug. I may have confused the issue by asking about changing account details. You have advised me to change account settings by deleting my TalkTalk/tiscali account and adding again. Has this anything to do with the send and receive problem or not?

I do understand there are problems with IMAP but it is really strange that NewOutlook worked (using IMAP) until the 13th March - now it does not. Someone, somewhere, must have done something.... Why are we left to flounder in the mess?

GBy123.  Hope this lot is of interest to someone...  

0 Likes

Message 2 of 24

Microsoft will automatically and regularly set windows Mail to New Outlook. Just switch back to Windows Mail and submit feedback to Microsoft on the pop-up form that will appear. Tell Microsoft via the feedback that 'something is not working' and in the comments that New Outlook is not supporting TalkTalk Mail.

Good to see that TalkTalk Mail webmail continues to work as do other email clients that continue to work perfectly well with TalkTalk Mail.

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 24

Exactly the same problem. Transferred to New outlook just before Christmas and worked fine until 13 March. Various suggestions from Microsoft support, none of which worked until all my emails disappeared from New Outlook and the only suggestion was to revert to Windows Mail. OK until yesterday when I was summarily transferred to New Outlook and again all emails disappeared. Thank goodness for Webmail.. .

0 Likes

Message 4 of 24

TalkTalk Mail does set up easily on other email clients such as Outlook 2021, Outlook 2019, Thunderbird, Mailbird, eMclient etc and you can access pretty much anywhere you have access to an Internet browser.

Numar
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 24

Having the same issues with new outlook, it was working upto the 13th then nothing. I had to remove my gmail accounts and set them back up easy 2 min job.

Talktalk will not set up as a imap email account it just keeps saying "something went wrong with this account setup. Try again or use a different account"

Why is TalkTalk such a pain to use with outlook. if this carries on I`m bunning my Talktalk for good. 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 24

Hi GBy123, I'm afraid we have no influence over Microsoft. They've admitted its down to them so its a case of them updating their product. 

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

GBy123
Whizz Kid
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 24

How many people are affected by the problem with New Outlook not working with TalkTalk/tiscali mail  (since 13th March).  Are we likely to get an update from anyone?  Microsoft has a lot to answer for on this but they are keeping their heads down (as usual).  Why isn't there more about this on the internet - it is extremely unsatisfactory just finding email does not work and  just being told 'no it won't' - use something else',  (only after using TalkTalk Community).  This matter  has been going on for over two weeks now  - it is obviously at the bottom of Microsoft's list of things to do - but PLEASE CAN WE HAVE SOME SORT OF UPDATE   - do we just wait and see if it all suddenly starts to work again by constantly checking.   

Personally I never asked to be put on New Outlook, then I was put back to Mail a few days later, then a couple of weeks later was put on New Outlook, which worked until 13th March   (after Patch Tuesday - is this a coincidence).   I realise this has to wait for Microsoft and TalkTalk to deal with  between them, but it is incredibly frustrating for us poor users.  

Message 8 of 24

Hello again.   sorry I have no idea who I should reply to - I started post but am replying to what I think is the latest reply.

Anyway.  I understand that New Outlook email does not work with Microsoft and TalkTalk(tiscali) (since 13th March)   Email works with Talktalk webmail so as far as they are concerned it is all fine.....  hm.    While the issue is fixed I can access mail on my tablet (gmail) and also using Webmail.   This is really clunky and very inconvenient but at least I can use it.     What I would like to know is:

I realise that as far as Talktalk is concerned it is Microsoft's problem but do you have any update on this matter.  Are we poor users likely to hear from anyone that it is being/has been sorted and if so, how?    I am concerned that there is very little publicity about this and almost nil from Microsoft.   All we get is that New Outlook is in development and does not work with TalkTalk.   

Can you give me (and all others in the same boat) an idea of what is happening (if anything) and how we will know when it is sorted.   Will we get an email (ha ha).  

Incidentally, I have not removed and tried to re-add my tiscali account because I saw others had tried and then could not add the account back and other problems.   I assume having the wrong settings could be a security issue, but hope that they do not cause problems as and when this current issue is fixed. 

Totally and utterly confused by the whole thing.   

Message 9 of 24

Well member barnettr 

Your email client settings will work perfectly with other email clients like Thunderbird, for example. This proves conclusively that there's nothing wrong with TalkTalk Mail.  TalkTalk Mail webmail will also keep you in touch just via a browser login.

Windows Mail, the email client that is being replaced by New Outlook also continues to work with TalkTalk Mail. Again demonstrating that tried and tested software will work with TalkTalk Mail.

Microsoft say that New Outlook is still in development and right now that new software that's still being developed by Microsoft has stopped working with and currently does not work with TalkTalk Mail. 

Message 10 of 24

Hi Ady

I've heard nothing for a week and my email client still doesn't work.

I've provided you with the version of outlook, which is

Version

You have Microsoft Outlook Version 1.2024.313.100 (Production).

Client Version is 20240308003.14 .

Settings I currently have in Outlook are:-

IMAP configurationHostname
imap.talktalk.net
Port
Secure connection type
SSL / TLS (recommended)

SMTP configurationHostname
smtp.talktalk.net
Port
Secure connection type
StartTLS

These settings have been working fine since I bought the laptop in November. They stopped working around a week ago when I originally contacted you.
Please could you let me know what's going on? - do I need to raise a new request about this? Do my above settings look right?
I've seen several other posts by others with the same issue which suggests this is a wider issue.
If my email client is not working with talktalk then I'll have no choice but to leave to another provider. 

Regards
Roger
0 Likes

Message 11 of 24

Hi both, thanks for the additional information. I've passed it on.

Ady

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

BertH
First Timer
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 12 of 24

Hi All,

I too am having the same issue with the new Outlook, for me in Win11, it has stopped receiving any new emails since Wed 13th March.

I reverted back to Windows Mail (via the toggle switch top right) and emails are now getting through ok.

I switched back to Outlook today to see if there has been any change but still no e-mails in the inbox after Wed. 

Searching the web for this issue has not helped as Outlook has many versions and problems, so I'm not clear if it is an Outlook issue or one of settings with TalkTalk.

For Info I am using the Outlook App Version: 1.2024.306.400 in Windows 11 Pro 23H2.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes

Message 13 of 24

Hi @Ady-TalkTalk 

Are they testing Outlook for Windows? aka New Outlook, the replacement for Windows Mail.

Version 1.2024.306.400

0 Likes

Message 14 of 24

We've done some testing this morning and can't replicate the issue. If you can confirm the OS, Outlook version/revision and if possible the send and receive address. You're welcome to send it to me in a Personal Message.

Ady

Message 15 of 24

Hi all, please provide the version and rev of Outlook that you're having problems with. 

Ady

barnettr
Team Player
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 24

I'm following this as I have had the same symptoms with my talktalk email since Weds.

No new emails showing on new outlook in Windows 11 yet I see new emails in my talktalk email app.

Could you post a link to the "other topic " you mentioned at the start please.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 24

Ah, @Woodster2 a sensible plan and a workaround that will give you a free email client that's worth staying with and supporting if you feel inclined.

0 Likes

Woodster2
First Timer
Private Message
Message 18 of 24

Same here. Outlook (new) with any talktalk.net email address I try gets the exact behaviour described above. Sent emails stuck in the Drafts folder unable to be sent. No emails are received. Don't know if the problem is with Outlook or TalkTalk. I'll go and get Thunderbird until it gets fixed.

Message 19 of 24

Unfortunately with New Outlook in an unusable state not connecting to the TalkTalk servers you'll not be able to set up a new TalkTalk Mail account.

Noted that you don't want to use Thunderbird which is a full feature email client supported by Mozilla the developers of the Firefox Internet browser.

Message 20 of 24

Understand about Outlook.    Think I understand that I have to remove tiscali email and set it up afresh.   Can you please confirm what I have to put in for that:       

I do recall having the tiscali settings as they are now put in by the person who set up my computer a while back .   I know I had changed them myself to the talktalk one a before.      I am losing the plot, but then I expect others are too. 

I have since seen your other answer saying you have replicated the issue and could not solve it.  Suggesting I revert to thunderbird   - I have never used and do not want to use, Thunderbird.    I am even more confused than ever, but do I assume that nothing will work to get this sorted for us - Microsoft is the pits.  

0 Likes