cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Run a Connection Test

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 13

'Run a Connection Test' at https://support.talktalk.co.uk/
gives various results, depending on what it feels like.

I did these tests today.

Initially, it informed the following:

First ResultFirst Result

##

#

This is not a connection test, it is a copy of a record of a test, which the 'Connection People' have done previously
It must have been initiated by me just before the time shown in the bottom panel, on 20:49 on 28/04/2024. This wrongly described the new case as an update. Within the bottom panel, it says that 'we should have an update in the next 5 minutes'. Well, I didn't get an update in the next 5 minutes.
I would have got an update, when I next attempted the 'Run a Connection Test'.
Now in the upper panel, it says that the case was updated on 20:51 on 28/04/2024, which was indeed within 5 minutes. This update says that 'we are unable to identify a fault'. Now, that is ambiguous, because I am not sure whether the 'Connection People' are saying there is no fault with the connection, or whether the 'Connection People' are not competent enough to identify a particular fault.
Anyway, this recorded supposed fault has remained on record since the 28/04/2024. I don't know what the user is supposed to do. Checking whether the user's cable is plugged in, is not the answer. So, please 'Connection People', don't advise users that 'we've provided some useful guides for additional support', where the initial support has not been provided, but that the connection is confirmed to be OK.

I repeated the 'Run a Connection Test', and got:

Second resultSecond result

and then I got:

xx

and then I got:

yy

#

I repeated the 'Run a Connection Test' for a 3rd time, and got:

I got the original screen, as shown at the beginning.

So, the question now is, is there a fault in my connection, as is currently being reported? Because I am not doing the test. It's the 'Connection People', who are supposedly doing the tests.

Bill

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Message 1 of 13

Hi Bill,

This may be partly be due to the wifi optimisation being switched off as we have been advised that this can affect diagnostics being completed on the line. Are you currently in contact with our Complaints Team?

Michelle

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 13

No, @Michelle-TalkTalk , if I run a 'My Connection test' and it doesn't identify a fault, then it must report ONCE, 'we have found there are NO faults on your line' and then keep quiet. Wouldn't you agree that's the way to go? There's no point in raising a ticket, and then letting it hang on there, without the system doing anything about it. And just because I might use 'My Connection test', doesn't mean I am experiencing any connection problems.

Bill

0 Likes

Message 3 of 13

Morning Bill,

If you run a My Connection test and it doesn't identify a fault then it will create a fault ticket anyway on our fault system for our Faults Team to take a look at. The team should then make contact or send an SMS to advise that further testing is required and to check what fault you are experiencing.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 13

Are you trying to play a joke, @Chris-TalkTalk ?

Don't even touch my system. Or else.

I am telling you to fix TalkTalk's system, mine is perfect.

I repeat the 'Run a Connection Test' is spouting nonsense.

The disabling of Optimisation is 100% necessary, as the optimisation routine within the firmware is incompetently written.

Bill

0 Likes

Message 5 of 13

Hi Bill,

I'm sorry but we would need to re-enable wifi optimisation to see if this is causing the problem with My Connection.

Chris

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 13

You're talking like 'Mystic Meg'  @Chris-TalkTalk 

My service is working OK, but I want confirmation that it IS working OK, from our wonderful TalkTalk.

Not a report spouting nonsense.

The disabling of Optimisation is 100% necessary, as the optimisation routine within the firmware is incompetently written.

Did you see the pictures above?

Bill

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

Hi Bill,

If your service is working OK then I would just ignore this. As Michelle says, it may have something to do with having wifi optimisation switched off 

Chris

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 8 of 13

This the current junk output from 'Run a Connection Test' .

aa

This is the same as was displayed on the 03/05/2024, when I started this OP,  except the date has now changed to 07/05/2024.

So, you are going to let this app,  'Run a Connection Test', spout this nonsense, without fixing anything?

If you are 'Unable to identify a fault', then there must be 'no fault', so why are you reporting a fault?

I haven't reported a fault, your stupid app did.

Bill

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 13

Now, I said I am getting junk from  the 'Run a Connection Test' , @Michelle-TalkTalk .

I really do not want any further junk from yourself.

Have you ever used 'Run a Connection Test'  from home, not from work?

Bill

0 Likes

Message 10 of 13

Hi Bill,

This may be due to the wifi optimisation being switched off. Would you like us to switch this back on?

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Billx
Super Duper Contributor
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 11 of 13

No @Chris-TalkTalk , there is no noticeable problem. The only noticeable problem, is the junk that the 'Run a Connection Test' produces.

So, if I am not experiencing a problem, and if I do a speed test, or if I do a connection test, should I expect junk? What I expect is a confirmation of normal speeds and a confirmation of a good connection, which these 2 apps don't do.

EDIT: 10:40 PM:  I just did a 'Run a Connection Test' and it reported a fault again with the original detail: Updated: 21:04 on 07/05/2024.

In other words this was the original ticket raised by the the connection app, and no improvement in the connection or in their app has occurred.

Bill

0 Likes

Chris-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 12 of 13

Hi Bill,

I've run a line test, it isn't picking up any issues. Are you currently experiencing any problems with your service?

Chris

0 Likes