cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TV Support

For help with your TalkTalk TV box, channels and apps.

Youview Streaming Apps / Internet Speeds

Jeanette2020
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 15 of 15

Hi There,

I seem to have a problem with my internet speeds anytime i use any of the streaming apps on the Youview box, i have sky sports HD with NOW TV and any time i watch NOW TV through my Youview box the picture starts off in perfect HD but after a short time that goes away and the quality of the picture decreases dramatically and it is a struggle to watch at times.

Last night i done a speed test when i was streaming sky sports on NOW TV through the Youview box and also done a test when i had NOW TV turned off and just a standard tv channel on and the results are quite different - when i had NOW TV on my download speeds were 9mbps and when NOW TV was turned off and just a standard TV channel was on the speed test showed my download speed was 48mbps.

My Youview box is connected with TT provided powerline adapters but it doesnt just seem to be NOW TV that causes an issue, i have noticed that if i have BBC IPlayer through my Youview box on and then go on the internet on my laptop, the BBC Iplayer will start buffering and lagging, not sure what is causing this but seems to be anytime i have any of the streaming apps are on through the Youview box dont see why this is happening as i am on Fibre 65.

Thanks

Jeanette

0 Likes
14 REPLIES 14

Message 1 of 15

Hi

If NOW TV is working correctly on all your other devices, then I can only surmise that the issue could possible be either with the app on the box or the communication between the adapters.

Connecting something wired to the adapter in place of the TV box and testing the speed or the NOW App can help identify this, but if it is the app on the box, if it is not being installed correctly, we would usually replace the box, however we no longer provide these old youview boxes.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 15

Hi Karl,

Don't think I will be able to test the box directly due to the location of my box / TV & router.

I spoke to NOW today on their live chat and they weren't much help, they had the standard suggestions - reset youview box, check software updates, check app updates, turn off at wall then back on etc but one thing they did mention is that they can see my internet speed is only 2mbps, my internet speed does seem to drop dramatically when i am using the app on the youview box, when i was on the chat to NOW i done a speed test when i wasnt using the NOW app and my download speed was 41, i then turned NOW tv on and watched a sports channel and my download speed dropped to 5, really not sure why this happens, i am on fibre 65 so dont see why it drops so much when the app is being used.

Really is puzzling and frustrating as it is unwatchable at times, as mentioned previously it does seem similar to the below case even though that was with a 4k box.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TV/4kbox-now-TV-sport-not-streaming-hd/td-p/2915970/page/4

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 3 of 15

Hi

It could be the app on the box itself. the only way you will ever be sure is to test the box with a direct wired connection to the router, bypassing the adapters.  This would rule out adapters, electrical wiring etc, but I appreciate this may not be practical.

Karl.

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 15

Hi Karl,

The new adapters arrived yesterday and i am afraid it didn't solve the issue - i plugged them both into a wall socket and then put NOW tv on and the issues i am having was not resolved, i did suspect that this would happen as it seems to be an issue only with my NOW tv.

Thanks

Jeanette

0 Likes

Message 5 of 15

Hi

No Problem. Please try the new adapters and report back.  Also, as you mention one of the adapters is using an extension, is it possible to test with the adapters both directly into wall sockets ?

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 6 of 15

Hi Both,

Karl - Thank you, I will try these once they arrive and see how it goes, hopefully it fixes the issue but do find it strange how it only seems to be causing issues on NOW tv, i would of thought if the Adapters were the problem then other apps on the Youview box would also have issues?

Keith - The PLA's are connected to an extension cable but there is ventilation around both of them and to answer your question there is one power fuse/breaker.

Thanks

Jeanette

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 7 of 15

Hi @Jeanette2020 

Just a thought, are your PLAs connected directly to wall sockets with ventilation around them? One other consideration is, are the two units on different electrical ring main circuits to each other? This can normally be checked by looking at the fuse/circuit breaker labelling in your electrical consumer unit. Do you have separate ones for upstairs power & downstairs power, or is there just one power fuse/breaker?

I used to have some TP-Link powerline adapters connecting between my router and YouView & used to have loads of problems with the Prime player keep losing connectivity with the internet. This was solved when I went to a mesh system & connected the YouView to that. I am not suggesting that you need to invest in anything like that, but I do wonder if one of my PLAs kept overheating and both units were connected via extension leads, which is not ideal.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 8 of 15

Hi Jeanette2020

I've a new set of adapters on the way, please give these a try and see what happens.

Karl.

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Jeanette2020
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 15

Hi Karl & Keith,

I am afraid moving the Powerline Adapter has been a short term fix as i am now having issues again, really strange this as the picture quality only seems to be causing issues on the NOW tv app, any other app i use such as Netflix, All 4, ITV Player, Iplayer etc, the picture quality remains the same for the whole duration of the stream but on NOW it is really poor and at times unwatchable.

I found the below thread yesterday and wondered if i may have a similar issue, appreciate i dont have a 4K box, it is a Youview box i have but the issues described in this thread seem very similar to the issues i am having

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/TV/4kbox-now-TV-sport-not-streaming-hd/td-p/2915970

The past 2 nights i have given up trying to watch the football on NOW as the picture has been awful, i have the HD boost too.

Really not sure what is causing this issue, i first got internet and youview through TT in 2013/2014 and had no issues with the Youview box, in 2020 i upgraded to faster fibre and was given a wifi hub, i had NOW tv in 2020 and had no issues at all when i had the wifi hub router, in 2021 i upgraded to faster fibre 35 and had to return the wifi hub and was sent a wifi hub black, in early 2022 that is when i noticed that the picture on NOW tv wasnt great and Keith reviewed my router and suggested a few changes which solved the issue and NOW tv was back to normal.

Towards the end of last year i upgraded again to fibre 65 but didnt have NOW tv at the time, a few months ago i signed up to NOW tv again and the old issues of the poor picture is still here, Keith reviewed my router a few weeks ago but says everything looks ok, so really not sure what is causing this issue, is it the NOW tv App? The router? The powerline adapters etc? seems strange it worked fine with no issues on the wifi hub but when i have upgraded to faster speeds and been provided with new routers the quality on the NOW tv app has gotten worse.

I have the NOW tv app on my mobile and anytime i use the app on my mobile i am connected to my wifi and the picture works perfectly on my mobile at all times, I only have an issue with NOW tv when using the Youview box.

Thanks

Jeanette

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 15

Hi @Jeanette2020 

Let me know how it goes.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 11 of 15

Hi

This sounds positive, but if there are further issues, let me know and we can always swap out the adapters to rule these out.

Karl

Working From Home Tips

0 Likes

Message 12 of 15

Hi Keith,

Last night i moved the position of my Powerline adapter slightly and it seems to of made a difference so far, NOW TV worked in perfect picture the whole night last night.

Hopefully that has resolved the issue but if not i will come back to this thread.

Thanks

Jeanette

0 Likes

Jeanette2020
Conversation Starter
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 13 of 15

Thanks Keith

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 14 of 15

Hi @Jeanette2020 

From our discussions as to this issue via PMs, as I said I think this could be an issue with your TalkTalk-supplied powerline adapters. I will ask TalkTalk to see if they can replace them for you.

Keith

0 Likes