cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Massive ping spikes constantly and other issues ...

RandomDude32
First Timer
Private Message
Message 5 of 5

Internet was working perfectly most of the morning, now I am getting constant ping spikes making any online gaming or streaming impossible. I've ran connection and speed test, both of which show good readings - I have disconnected my router for 10 mins and still no improvement.

Does anyone know what is going on? I've also noticed EVERY evening at EXACTLY 00:13 I will lose connection for maybe 5-10 seconds and then everything kicks back in and works fine. What's up with that?

There has just been too many consistent problems with my TalkTalk connection, have been using them for years but need something more reliable because these constant issues just make it impossible to want to stay...

Please any help would be appreciated, at the moment I'm getting sometimes 7-8 seconds of around 19-23ms, and then a massive spike for 3-4 seconds (300-400ms+) and then goes back to normal. Been like this for a few hours now.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

Message 1 of 5

Hello,

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread. Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated.

Thanks

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 2 of 5

If you copy & paste the system log entries from around the time it last dropped out (you can do it at any time as each entry is timestamped) and paste it either in your reply or PM it to me if you prefer.

What sort of device are you gaming on?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 3 of 5

Just looking at the ping counter for the game I'm playing, it will go from 19-21ms and then when I lose connection, the ping spikes up to 400ms for a little and then goes back to normal. Maybe 20 second gap between each one but it's been very consistent like this all day. 

I use a wireless router connection, but I am sitting about 3 metres away from the router with no walls between. It is odd how it's always 00:13 without fail. It only cuts out for maybe 10 seconds and then it's totally fine. 

When I'm next up late and it happens I'll try and look into what you advised, I'm not the most fluent with tech but what could be some reasons it's always happening at this exact time?

Also I have all child restriction settings disabled. 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 4 of 5

How are you connecting to the router, wired or wireless? If you look in the system log at the outage at 00:13, are there any TR-069 entries around this time?

These spikes you say for 3 - 4 seconds, but 300-400ms is less than half a second. Please can you elaborate?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes