cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband help

For queries about your TalkTalk broadband service.

Router webpage does not recognise router name or passwod

mackerel
Chat Champion
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 158 of 158

I have been having recurring wifi and internet outages. I have tried to access the router, but the webpage rejects the name I had changed it to and the original name.  I am using the router password - not the wifi password.  I have just reset the router but no change.

Also, when wifi works, I can connect to an extender successfully, but NOT the router itself.

0 Likes
157 REPLIES 157

Message 101 of 158

You wouldn't need to stand around staring at the router, you would just need to look at the light when the connection drops or is slow, so could you take a look at it the next time this happens and let me know

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes

Message 102 of 158

Chris

I'm afraid I don't stand around staring at the router, so I can't say.  Currently the service is as it should be, as it was for most of yesterday - after I had re-booted the router (which took much longer than usual to re-boot).

0 Likes

Message 103 of 158

Thanks. Does the light change on the router when the connection appears to be slow or has dropped?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 104 of 158

Chris

Not that I have noticed

0 Likes

Message 105 of 158

Hi mackerel,

Can I just ask, are you experiencing any problems with your telephone service, is there any noise on the line?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 106 of 158

Sorry - your post seemed more like a comment than a question.  My socket is new one so no separate microfilter.  A new router was sent and I plugged it in and switched on.  I'm a customer, not an engineer, so I just try to do what is needed.  Imagine the electricity or gas people asking me to fiddle with their installation if I had such poor service delivery as I have with my broadband.

STILL NO CONTACT YET ABOUT AN ENGINEER COMING OUT

0 Likes

Message 107 of 158

Can you respond to the points I raised a couple of days ago regarding testing? 

0 Likes

Message 108 of 158

Just done a speed check - not good

mackerel_1-1708276885464.png

0 Likes

Message 109 of 158

All the problems are still the same.  I've had no contact from an engineer - probably not surprising as this is one of the few moments I have an internet connection.  I have just taken screen shots of attempts just now to log on to this Community page, AND the dashboard information at the same moment. 

mackerel_0-1708275975529.png

No web pages load and Outlook can't connect.

Can an engineer contact me for an appointment ASAP on the TELEPHONE LANDLINE  which you supply as the chances are I won't have any internet access in a few minutes.  I'm making the most of things as it seems to be working OK - for now, as it did for a while yesterday.

0 Likes

Message 110 of 158

TalkTalk sent you another router to test with after you first reported this issue, yes? You have subsequently connected this via a plugin microfilter at the test socket behind the faceplate on the master socket using the cabling that came with the new router, yes? If the issue still persists, then you have done all you can to eliminate anything at your end. So an engineer seems to be the only way forward, you have to agree to potential charges, but these will not arise if the issue is found to be caused by something wrong on the network external to your home. 

0 Likes

Message 111 of 158

I don't understand what you mean by "If all testing has been completed at the test socket with an alternative router", but someone needs to come out and fix this.  I will accept possible time related charges where they are proved to be valid.  I will not accept charges just because  you say so.  I am generally available at most times of the day, with notice.

Just to keep things on the record, it takes several minutes to load this page.  BBC weather, Facebook and Freeview will not load at all as it says it takes too long.  I shudder to think what's happening with Outlook.

Please sort this out ASAP

0 Likes

Message 112 of 158

Hello,

I'm really sorry to hear this. If all testing has been completed at the test socket with an alternative router then we'll need to arrange an engineer visit to the property. If you'd like to go ahead with this please can you confirm acceptance of possible time related charges and also provide some availability AM (8-1) and PM (1-6) and we can arrange the next available appointment for you.

About your auto compensation credit - TalkTalk Help & Support

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 113 of 158

This is a disaster.  I have been trying to establish a connection for two hours now.  First it connects and then drops out.  Both wired and wifi on two computers and iphone.  Once it says it is connected to the internet, I cannot open any web pages as the speed is too slow.  I get "does not have valid IP address" message when trying to connect (wired and wifi) amongst others.  I don't understand any of the techy things you are suggesting.  It's taken over an hour just to log on to this site.  All I want is to sit down and be connected to the internet.  Can you do that?

You also haven't let me know what compensation I get due to you failures.  Can you do that, too?

0 Likes

Message 114 of 158

Good morning,

I've taken another look at the stats now (we can't post this information) and I can see that at times the SNR is dropping quite low which can affect the stability and overall performance of the connection. I can see that DLM has changed the profile to 3db which may be causing the stability issues that you are experiencing. I've optimised the connection now and this has increased back to 6db. Could you monitor the connection please over the weekend and let us know if their is any improvement. If there is then we can ask the team if the profile can be locked at 6db to see if this helps. 

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 115 of 158

Debbie

What about my request for performance details over the past month?  You seem to respond as a result of a snapshot when it's ok - and it is sometimes.  The problem is that it is erratic and unreliable.  I can sit for minutes on end waiting for a webpage to refresh, and then it says it's taken too long.  Watching catch-up TV I can't remember when we watched a programme all the way through without the internet connection failing.  This isn't what I'm paying for.  When you send me the performance figures, please include a note of the compensation you pay for poor service.

By all means send an Open Reach engineer, but I hope he doesn't say - "it's ok at our end, contact Talktalk".

0 Likes

Message 116 of 158

Hi mackerel

The line is in sync at 23mb.

If the speed is dropping low on a wired speed test (with a different router) then we can arrange an Openreach engineer visit to take a look at this for you.

0 Likes

Message 117 of 158

Chris

Everything that you may have done to optimise seems to have failed.  Yet again the connection is so slow I cannot do a speed check.  Sites I try to open refuse as it takes too long.  The connection will repeatedly just disappear and randomly return.  This is even the problem with a wired connection (now) as wifi was even worse.

Can you please supply me with a detailed analysis of speeds and outages for the last month, and the measures you will take to resolve this.

It's beyond a joke.

0 Likes

Message 118 of 158

The line management system (DLM) does try to make any changes during the early hours of the morning to minimise disruption and as the connection speed was already high I think disruptions will be minimal

Chris

0 Likes

Message 119 of 158

Sounds like a true computer professional's response.😂

0 Likes

Message 120 of 158

Hi mackerel,

I've restarted the optimisation process, the connection may be a little unstable over the next couple of days until it settles down

Thanks
Chris

0 Likes