cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIbre Support

Get expert support with your Fibre connection.

What is Whitelisting and should I do it?

aldomeister
Participant
Private Message
Message 12 of 12

Hi -

I'm trying to install an Amazon Blink system on my home WiFi and the Blink team (who've been v helpful) are now suggesting I ask TT to help me whitelist their Sync Module's Mac address on my router.

Is this a wise move? I'm happy going into the outer's Advanced Settings but not sure how to find the whitelist.

The main issue is that the Sync Module seems to be rejected by our WiFi whenever I try to connect it.

Many thanks

Chris 

0 Likes
11 REPLIES 11

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 1 of 12

@fr8ys 

Thanks for the info, as I said, I had no idea what this Amazon device was (or had the time over the last few days to find out myself).

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Message 2 of 12

Hi @KeithFrench , It's a device that links security devices such as doorbells and cameras on a local network. The USB is to record images locally.

It's an Amazon device and similar to their Ring devices but it does not require a monthly subscription to store images. You can pay monthly for cloud storage, but it's designed to work with a local recording device (the sync module) which is causing the OP issues.

I've set up a few networks (one for myself and also for other family members) and never had an issue bar my first attempt when I set the doorbell up first, when the Sync Module needs to be the first to be connected. It's all pretty much plug and play.

I can't recall any mention of port forwarding in any of the help documents or FAQ's. 

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 3 of 12

This is probably rubbish as I have no idea what this device is or how it operates, but does it need port forwarding configured in the router? If it does, then I can help you with that.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

Message 4 of 12

Ok. Good luck with Amazon.

Please remember to mark Solved Posts with Best Answer. Doing so helps other customers and saves TalkTalk's Support Team time by only looking at unsolved topics. Thanks, Steve (a fellow customer).

Message 5 of 12

Yes I have (several times!) but thanks for the link 👍

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 12

Have you tried resetting the module? Instructions here

https://www.google.com/search?q=reset+blink+module&oq=reset+blink+module&aqs=edge..69i57j0i512j0i22i...

0 Likes

Message 7 of 12

Many thanks - I have followed all the Blink instructions but I suspect the model I have (which languished in a cupboard for ages) is no longer supported by Blink. 

The frustrating thing is that I can't get the Sync Module installed so nothing else can be set up. Am hoping they will send me a replacement even though it's out of  warranty!

0 Likes

Message 8 of 12

Thank you Keith - I guess the TT router is by default set to allow all devices...

0 Likes

fr8ys
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 9 of 12

Not sure what is happening here but I have a Blink setup and I found it connected straight away following the e-mailed instructions once I had set up a Blink account.

I have known issues where people have not set up the Blink account thinking their Amazon account will suffice. If you have spoken to the Blink Team I assume they led you through this process.

I set up my doorbell first - mistake. The module needs setting up first then you add the other items to the same network. It's not clear that you need to do this so if you have 2 devices on separate networks within the blink app, they will not connect.

I suggest that you delete all the devices you have within the App, then re-add them one at a time on the same network, starting with the module. Do you also have a USB stick added to the module? If not I suggest adding one so you can record your doorbell videos.

If it still won't work, I'd return the module to Amazon and request a replacement as it may be faulty.

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 10 of 12

Hi @aldomeister 

Whilst I don't have any experience of Amazon Blink, I can explain white listing.

Where something can be blocked based on some sort of list of users or devices etc, white listing simply means allow all, the opposite is a list that blocks all of them.

Keith

Michelle-TalkTalk
Support Team
Staff
Private Message
Message 11 of 12

Morning,

@KeithFrench - Is this something that you able to provide any advice on?

Thanks