cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

Problem Connecting to Fortinet VPN

DarrenW66
Participant
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 37 of 37

Hi there, I've recently started experiencing connecting through Fortinet VPN from my home network (Talk Talk Fibre 65) when connecting through mobile data doesn't seem to have this problem.  is this a know problem from Talk Talk wifi and if so, are there any known solutions, please?

0 Likes
36 REPLIES 36

Message 1 of 37

OK, I'll pass it over to our network team and ask them to take a look. I'll let you know when I receive an update or they may contact you directly

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 37

Hi Chris, done that.  Still the same issue, unfortunately.  

The first screenshot attached is using TalkTalk, the second is mobile data.  The TalkTalk connection does sometimes connect better, but then it soon drops to the poor connection again.

Thank you

0 Likes

Message 3 of 37

Hi Darren,

Could you switch the ONT and router off for 30 minutes, then switch back on and retest. If it's then still not working I'll pass it over to our Network Team for further investigation

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 37

Thank you so much Keith.  I was thinking you might jump back in to help again:)

Best regards,

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 5 of 37

Hi @DarrenW66 

I have just tried pinging this same IP address & get the same result. I'll ask TalkTalk to get their networks team to deal with it.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.
TalkTalk support and Community Stars - Who are they? 

0 Likes

Message 6 of 37

Hi Debbie, thank you for following this up.  Unfortunately the router hasn't helped.  In fact I've received some technical input from a friend and the check he led me through would appear to indicate that the route being used by TalkTalk for me to connect to the IP address in Singapore (which I am needing to have a good connection to) is not good.

I've attached a word document showing my connection to that IP address.  The first screenshot shows the data dropping when I use my TalkTalk connection, the second screenshot shows all the data going through when I use mobile data.  Hopefully TalkTalk will be able to offer a solution for this.

Regarding the router, I will get that sent back to you.  Are you concerned whether I send back the older one or the one you just sent me?  The only reason I ask that is I'm currently using the new router and if you are content for me to send back the older one, it will save me having to re-connect all those items around my house which are currently connected via that router.  Not a problem, though, for me to do that, if you prefer.  Thank you.

0 Likes

Message 7 of 37

Morning @DarrenW66 

Hope you had a good weekend 🙂

How's the connection been with the new router?

0 Likes

Message 8 of 37

HI @DarrenW66 

I'm glad to hear that the router has arrived.

I will check in again with you on Tuesday to see how you are getting on.

Thanks

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 9 of 37

Hi Debbie, thank you for the router.  I'll need a few days to assess properly whether it has improved things.  I'll be back in touch next week.

Best regards

Message 10 of 37

Hi DarrenW66

Thank you 🙂

The router is on its way, please allow 24-48hrs for this to arrive.

Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

0 Likes

Message 11 of 37

My apologies, I just added that now.

Thank you

Message 12 of 37

Hi DarrenW66

Please can you add your TalkTalk account number to your Community Profile, I can then send the replacement router for testing.

Thanks

0 Likes

Message 13 of 37

Hi Michelle, yes please, let's give that a go.  I'll send it back if it doesn't help.

Thank you

Message 14 of 37

Hi Darren,

I'm sorry to hear this. Would you like us to send a replacement router for testing purposes to rule this out?

Thanks

Michelle

Message 15 of 37

Ah, OK, I guess I'm not then.  As I indicated, I wasn't sure.  My apologies 

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 16 of 37

It is just that your screenshot of the configuration you gave me, clearly shows that you are not using any certificates.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please set Accept as Solution from the 3 dot menu.

0 Likes

Message 17 of 37

Hi again Keith.  The Windows update hasn't helped, unfortunately.  Also, what appeared to be working by using the VPNBook connection is also no longer working.  I have to hot spot on my mobile phone data connection to get this to work at the moment.

Just coming back to your previous question(s):

'The Forticlient contacts the server and performs some encrypted exchange. Are you sure that you don't need to use any certificates? Did this ever work to your employer's VPN server?'

I'm at the limit of my technical expertise on this matter at this point.  However, I do believe certificates are used (I seem to recall something about certificates coming up occasionally when connecting the rdp).  And yes, this connection has previously been fine to my employer's server, it's just been the last 3 weeks or so when the problem seems to have arisen.

I realise that you're probably unable to help further on this, but I'm grateful for what you have done in getting things this far.  I don't know if the TalkTalk team are able to help any further?

0 Likes

Message 18 of 37

Morning Darren,

We'll check back in with you in a few days to see how you're getting on.

Thanks

Michelle

0 Likes

Message 19 of 37

Hi Keith, thanks for this update, it may have fixed things:)  I'll check over the next couple of days, though as sometimes I have been able to connect through the vpn and then the problem has arisen again.   If it is fixed, I'll action the 'Accept' as requested.

If it's not fixed it, I'll repost the post that was deleted (as far as I can remember  what I wrote).  Sorry I didn't get to this before now, I've been tied up with some other things over the last couple of days.

Best regards

0 Likes

KeithFrench
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 20 of 37

Hi @DarrenW66 

Apparently, there was a bug in Windows 10/11 that has been affecting VPNs recently (mine were unaffected). This has been fixed in the Patch Tuesday update for Windows released today. Although this is normally a security only update, Microsoft has also rolled out this fix as well. Once updated, please can you retry? I am not hoping for much, but you never know.

Keith

0 Likes