cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email support

Ask us about your TalkTalk email account and Webmail.

Unable to access emails with gmail any more

jonathancowen
First Timer
Private Message
Message 7 of 7

Hello, 

I am no longer able to access my onetel mail with gmail.

I have tried to update the setting on gmail, but get an error 

Server denied POP3 access for the given username and password.
 Server returned error: "[AUTH] Authentication failed."

Does anyone know how to fix this ? 

thank you

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6

Message 1 of 7

Hi Gondola, 

Thank you so much for your help and the information. 

I will wait for the confirmation, then change the settings, as they wont save at the moment because of the error. 

Thanks again

Jon 

Message 2 of 7

The devices are both capable of secure mail for viewing and sending mail messages via Gmail.

First the Gmail app on the iphone.

The gMail app usually sets up fairly easily although the manual settings do need double-checking. The app verifies the incoming and outgoing server settings so you know if the setup for both receiving and sending mail is good. IMPORTANT. The Gmail app will not verify the TalkTalk settings until TalkTalk restore IMAP4 / POP3 access for you. I'll request that and you'll receive a reply from TalkTalk Support right here in due course.

When starting to Add the email account to the Gmail app:

• You select Other and Enter your email address and NEXT
  • Select Personal (IMAP) account and NEXT
  • Enter the password

These are the Incoming server and Outgoing server settings for TalkTalk email accounts. You'll possibly need to edit the mail server names to make sure the incoming server is prefixed by mail. and the outgoing server is prefixed by smtp.

Account Type  IMAP (recommended)
Username username@talktalk.net
Password Email password
Incoming mail server mail.talktalk.net
Incoming Port 993
Incoming Security Type SSL/TLS
Outgoing SMTP server smtp.talktalk.net
Outgoing Port 587
Outgoing Security Type STARTTLS
Require sign-in Yes

Using the Chrome browser on the Windows 10 PC to access Gmail is at: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox

Gmail mail collection from TalkTalk is via the Gmail Settings, Accounts and Import tab.

• Settings - See all settings
  • Accounts and Import
  • Check email from other accounts - Select Add an email Account
    In the pop up window enter the TalkTalk email address - Next
    Select Import emails from my other account (POP3) - Next
    Username: Full TalkTalk email address
    Password: TalkTalk email password
    POP Server: mail.talktalk.net
    Port: 995
    Tick - Leave a copy of retrieved message on the server
    Tick - Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail
    Select Add Account

NB
You need to leave a copy on the server so you can view messages via TalkTalk Mail webmail if Gmail goes down
The Gmail mail collection will not verify the TalkTalk settings until TalkTalk restore IMAP4 / POP3 access for you.

If you use the Gmail Send mail as feature to send mail messages via Gmail but pretending to be sent from your TalkTalk account then that's also on the Accounts and Import tab.

Just make sure it's set up to say Mail is sent through: smtp.talktalk.net Secured connection on port 587 using TLS

GondolaCommunity Star 2017-2024

Like below to appreciate my post . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

Message 3 of 7

Hi Gondola. 

The pc I am using is running windows 10, I use chrome as a web browser and access gmail through that. 

My phone is an Iphone XS running ios 16.11, and i was using the gmail app. 

I hope this helps 

Thank you 

0 Likes

Message 4 of 7

What's the pc and its operating system and the email software or is that Gmail using desktop webmail and you use the POP mail collection?

What's the phone and its operating system version. I assume Android and running the Gmail app?

I can give you the secure settings for both.

jonathancowen
First Timer
Private Message
Message 5 of 7

Hi Gondola, 

Thank you for your reply, 

I did try to update the settings when I got the email about changing the settings, and I did try, and it wouldn't work. came up with the same error. 

I use gmail on my pc and the gmail app on my Iphone, and both were working fine until the 17th.

thank you 

Jon  

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Private Message TalkTalk
Message 6 of 7

I expect like others you've not updated the mail collection settings to use secure encryption. You'd have been asked last year to update to secure mail. Now TalkTalk has taken the action of last resort to remove device access when there's continued use of insecure mail settings.

You'll have access via TalkTalk Mail webmail.

Select here: Sign in to TalkTalk Mail

Enter your full TalkTalk Mail onetel email address and onetel password, select Sign in.

Is the Gmail mail collection the only way you access your onetel mail messages, other than webmail?